DC Mini Immersible Water Pump (6V~18V) (FIT0563)

This is a placeholder topic for “DC Mini Immersible Water Pump (6V~18V)” comments.

This immersible pump can be used to water your plants, make a fountain or waterfall, even change your fish tank water. It comes with an inlet valve, you can adjust … read more

Read more

are you in stock with DC Mini Immersible Water Pump (6V~12V)?

Hi Ash,

The stock levels are live on the product page. If you want to know how many we have in stock just enter a number in the “add to cart” field. If they aren’t available it will tell you!
Screenshot_1
Screenshot_2

FYI, you can check for blockages by removing the 4x screws with a #1 Phillips head screwdriver. Please see the below photos. Note that the little rubber cap is in fact the bearing for the motor shaft (the steel shaft doesn’t rotate in this pump) and may remain in the housing.

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

1 Like

Have purchased this pump and having issues with it. Have tried 6V, 9V, 12V and 18V batteries and can’t get it to function. Have only tested it in water as per instructions no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

Hi Nick,
Welcome to the forum!!

It’s unlikely you’re doing anything wrong - in the sense that you would risk damaging the pump or doing something unsafe. Sending through a photo would be the fastest way to get info.

What kind of battery setup were you using? If you have some AA batteries in series they might not be able to pull enough current through to power them - PS: the pumping head is proportional to how much power you are sending to it. Higher the voltage - higher the curent => more power

Not AA in a series. Had a little spurt when I first tested then nothing.

1 Like

Hi Nick,

If that SLA battery is >10V that should work.
Do you have a multimeter to test anything with? I’d check the batteries open circuit voltage and then using the 10A setting test the current going through the motor.

If you have some spade connectors handy it might be worth crimping them on to try that. From the sounds of it its in connection between battery and the motor from my intuition.

Hi Liam

Yes the connections don’t look that crash hot do they.
I would say pretty ordinary.
Your suggestion of spade connectors crimped PROPERLY has a lot of merit and should be expedited.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob

If the wire makes direct contact with the battery I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. A spade connector won’t improve that will it?

1 Like

Yes it will certainly improve the type of connection depicted in the photo. It would seem to only just be making contact and as soon as any current is requested the contact would pretty much disappear.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Will try with spades but I am highly doubtful albeit a novice at these things.

The motor is engaging under a number of connections as in it is humming but there is zero rotation.

Hi Nick.

The motor is not seized or jammed is it ?? You can turn it by hand I assume. The problem could be mechanical.
You still need a better reliable battery connection so fitting spade connections is required.
You would be well advised to check the battery voltage under load. Just to be sure that all is OK there.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob

The motor can spin and I can turn it with my hand. It will rotate under current and then when I disconnect and then reconnect it will cease to turn and will just hum quietly. I can feel it vibrating but not rotating. So the issue, I presume, is one of two possibilities:

1. insufficient connections

2. mechanical, something most likely to do with the rubber cap bearing

Does it sound more like one or the other to you?

I will have to get the multimeter and spade connectors as Liam and yourself suggested to be sure, but alas they are not with me here so my little project goes on hold for another day or two.

Hi Nick
You can’t trouble shoot with several possibilities. Especially remotely.You have to eliminate them one at a time.
If it is mechanically OK the first step is the battery OK. What voltage is it under no load. (it might just be flat)
The connections to the battery must be solid. The pics suggest the wire is just poked through the hole in the spade connector and just sitting there. Definitely suspect. Fix this before going further. Fit proper spade connectors to the wires.
Measure the battery voltage under load. That little pump probably won’t draw too much but check this anyway. Just because a battery seems OK with no load if it is sick the story will be entirely different when supplying current. It definitely should be more than 10.8 to 11V (for a nominal 12V battery, could be 13.8V fully charged). If less it should be charged. A lead acid battery should not be discharged below this level or it probably will be damaged.
Cheers Bob

4 Likes

Hello,
I purchased the product (water pump 6 v to 18 v) not long ago, however, I just viewed the comment/forum and is it true that the water pump can only work if the voltage of the battery is greater than 10v? Because I thought if I connect the water pump to a 6 v battery, it should work?

2 Likes

Hi Clay,

Welcome to the forum!!

The voltage that you feed the motor will affect how high the water can pump (also known as ‘head’).
At 6 volts there won’t be as much pressure generated by the pump vs at 12V.

How high were you looking to pump the water?
Liam

2 Likes

Hi Liam,

Do you mean how tall I want the water to reach? If that’s the case, it is 1 meter the maximum. Will 6 volts be enough?

3 Likes

Hi Clay,

Yeah, at 1m there will be a decent amount of fluid head so 6V, unfortunately, won’t work.
In short to get more power out of a motor you have to increase the voltage, V = I * R (or Z in this case since there are also inductors in the mix), R remains constant so increasing the voltage, increases the current.
And hence the overall power, which is able to drive the water further up your tube.

Any power over the lowest amount required to overcome the pressure of water over that meter will let it flow faster.

I’ll add a note to get the product page updated with a datasheet or guide if possible!
Liam

2 Likes

Hi Clay

If you are referring to by reply of 18/01/22

That refers to the minimum voltage a 12V lead acid battery should be discharged to without damage. It has nothing to do with the minimum voltage required to operate this pump.

If the label says 6 to 18V I would expect it to work at 6V. The voltage your particular application requires would depend on what sort of pressure and volume you need. As mentioned by Liam the pressure and volume at 12V is going to be more than at 6V. If 6V is enough to do what you want then all OK. If not you will have to find more V. You will have to try it but 1M is not much (about 1.5 PSI) so if the volume at 6V is OK you should be in business But of course never having seen this pump let alone used it I cannot guarantee anything.

I would guess the 6 to 18V on the label is the recommended operating range of this pump and anything outside this would void any manufacturers performance or quality guarantees. Up to the user exactly what voltage is used at the end of the day.
Cheers Bob
PS. There will be a current (Amps or mA) involved here too so your voltage source will have to provide that. This will change with load.

3 Likes