Arduino Uno Character Display shield

I am making a switch for an exhaust Brake on a Land Rover. Arduino code should be fine C++ is my day job. I am not seeing the relay respond to the CAN-BUS shell so I need to examine what is on the wire, and for that I need a display. Issue is, the CAN-BUS Shield V2 (Seeed Studio) takes up a lot of pins on the Arduino Uno R3, so there is little left for a Display shell.
The Adafruit RGB LCD Shield Kit w/ 16x2 Character Display SKU: ADA716 uses only 2 pins which are free, but it is a kit, and whilst my coding skills are adequate, my assembly skills are a tragedy, and I would do more harm than a Covid Cowboy in an old folks home. Can anyone point me to a Display shield which uses Free Pins in my set up, and comes ready to use. Thanks Al

Hi Alan,

Those parts are often called “LCD Backpacks” and we have a few different options. I2C (or IIC) variants will be 2 pins for data.

I hope that helps!

Thanks Graham, Does that mean its in two part codes, the BackPack and the actual screen itsself?
If so, how does one know which screens go with which backpacks?

Is there any product which plugs onto the Arduino Uno, uses I2C (2 pins) , has a display screen and is already assembled, or plugs together without soldering?

Like this?

1 Like

Hi Alan,

It depends on the products. Some will be just a backpack, some will be just a screen, and some will include both like the one Robin has linked above. If you want to look through our full stock listing, just do a site search for ‘LCD’ - we’ve got quite an extended range of products that aren’t in a category.

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

That is what I need, but my eyesight is not good enough to solder it. What is the most simple display to set up for the Arduino Uno?

Hi @Alan23832

My apologies. I thought my previous link came assembled, but I was wrong.

Here is a link for an OLED display, with qwiic connectors, so no soldering required. The qwiic cables are also available in the Core online store. Search in the store to see if there are other displays more to you liking.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you.

I have placed an order.
Not sure if cable is correct but I made a note on the order to substitute if not the correct one.

Al

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately, the order note doesn’t pass through support, so we won’t be able to change it through the order process if necessary. If you need to make any changes to your order please email support@coreelectronics.com.au and we’ll sort it out for you right away. Have a great day!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Hi Alan,

We can’t make product decisions for you, you need to make sure you’ve got your order correct. But we can definitely offer advice, and sometimes we can catch an order before it goes out if you need to make a change.

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics