Artech Digital Multimeter - A5030 (TOL-18342)

This is a placeholder topic for “Artech Digital Multimeter - A5030” comments.

You can use the multimeter to measure DC and AC voltage, DC and AC current, resistance, continuity, capacitance, frequency, and test diodes…

Read more

Hi, does the Artech Digital Multimeter - A5030 come with the probes shown in the picture or do they need to be purchased separately? Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes, It comes with probes. I have bought one recently, you only need two AA battery.

2 Likes

From the product description

“You can use the multimeter to measure AC/DC voltage, AC/DC current, resistance, continuity, capacitance, frequency, temperature, EF, Hz DUTY, and test diodes.”

I have lot’s of questions.

1. What is EF?
  2. Hz Duty? as in I can measure the frequency of a DC/AC waveform?
  3. What is the difference between Frequency & Hz Duty Cycle?
  4. Test diodes? What would I be testing? It’s limits?
  5. Temperature? Like… in Celsius?

Thanks in advance.
Pix :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Hi Pix,

Great questions!

I got GPT’s answer:

And Google found me this great video:

(source: https://community.element14.com/technologies/test-and-measurement/f/forum/49955/what-is-ef-measurement-in-a-multimeter/186185)

I imagine that its similar to this function on a Fluke multimeter: How to Measure Duty Cycle with a Digital Multimeter | Fluke

Pretty much, you can test the forward voltage of them: How to Test Diodes with a Digital Multimeter | Fluke

Yeah! There’s a K-type thermocouple included so could say… strap it to an IC with some kapton tape to see how hot it gets.

Any more questions or queries send em through!
Liam

1 Like

Hi Pix

“Hz” IS the frequency as in kHz, MHz etc. "Duty cycle is the ratio between HIGH and OOW time of a repetitive square or rectangular wave (a square wave would be 50% duty cycle).

You can’t test the reverse and forward resistance of a diode with a DMM resistance ranges. There is not enough voltage at the probes to turn the diode on. The same applies for transistor junction. To overcome this the “diode” test is available where the voltage in increased with a controlled amount of current limit. What is displayed on screen is then the forward voltage drop of the diode (Volts) with the reverse showing overload or infinity (good diode). LEDs can be tested this way also as there is usually enough current to illuminate dimly and you can see the different forward voltage drops with different colours.

Yes you can measure the frequency of an AC waveform and will display in Hz or multiples of up to a limit, usually quoted in the specs.
DC has no frequency.

Yes. Usually defaults to Celsius but some are able to change to Fahrenheit. With a K type thermocouple usually supplied with plugs for the meter.
One little quirk to this. If you short the DMM inputs (Common and hot lead) and switch to Temp measurement you will see displayed the ambient temperature inside the meter. That is because the electronics are compensating for a “cold junction” that does not exist without a thermocouple probe connected. “Cold Junction”, that is another subject altogether and if you want to know all about it I would suggest Wikipedia or similar.
Cheers Bob

I agree! :+1:

I’m confused because the product description has two modes.

• Frequency
  • Hz duty

What would it mean for the duty cycle to be measured in hz?

So we’re on the same page, I’ve tracked down this desmos graph of a square wave where …

• f is the frequency
  • A is the duty cycle.

Are we saying the “hz duty” mode coresponds to A??
But it expresses duty with the unit hz?

1 Like

Oh… there is a datasheet on the product page :man_facepalming:

Ok so I’ve read the datasheet and I’ve learned that the multi-meter dial can move to HZ / DUTY mode.

I think the datasheet implies that, in this mode, the meter will measure EITHER frequency in hz OR duty as a percentage.

@Liam maybe a clearer product description might look something like (??)

“You can use the multimeter to measure AC/DC voltage, AC/DC current, resistance, continuity, capacitance, frequency, duty, temperature, EF, and test diodes.”

1 Like

Hi Pix
Just looked at that link.
“f” seems to represent something. By the look of the graph it is in units of something could be second, mSecs or µSecs. For illustration it does not matter.
“A” represents Duty Cycle. Expressed as a decimal part of the whole which is 64 somethings. It is quoted as 0.8 which is clearly the 0.8 of the total cycle time the signal is HIGH. I suppose duty cycle could be expressed this way but it probably more common to have said 80% which is the same.

This is a bit misleading as “f” is normally used to represent frequency, in this case it appears not to be.
Cheers Bob
PS there is a lot of information usually in data sheets. Always wise to have a read before branching out with a lot of confusing queries. Also helps understand your instrument and its use.

2 Likes

Hi Pix and Bob,

Great dive into the nitty gritty - I’ve updated the product page with the reword so hopefully its a bit clearer in future!

Liam

2 Likes