D1 Mini (ESP8266) not enough voltage to power 4.8V servo

Well after opening it up, I don’t see any signs of it being burned out. Any suggestions on what to try next?

1 Like

You are probably not going to see much just looking. Electronic failures have a habit of hiding from the casual viewer.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

I’m guessing the thing’s toast as I reimplemented my servo test code using gpiozero and still no change. I also swapped all the connector cables and still nothing. Interesting testing the connections using a multimeter didn’t show any voltage at all so unsure what’s going on there. Actually, after further testing, there’s voltage readings on the connector wires from the RPi0 but not on the servo plug side. Maybe bad connection somewhere?

Guess I’ll just have to order another servo then. But my particular usecase is winding/turning some venitian blinds, which require quite a bit of turning to open/close. Would a positional servo still be a better option for this usecase?

1 Like

Hi Tim

Why ??? That is a bit silly and a sure way to destroy something. If it worked once with the existing connections that part of things is obviously OK.

This whole couple of paragraphs seems a bit haphazard and iffy. Could be your measurement techniques could do with some revision. Sorry but that is the way it reads.

If it is a single pull to open and a single pull on the other cord to close as I think venetians are (I haven’t had these for a while. All my last lot finished up in the tip where they belonged) you may have to use an arm long enough to get the length of cord travel. This might require a beefier servo as the torque requirement increases with lever length. The power requirement will increase too, and not forgetting the increase in $$$.

If this is the case a 360º unit may be the go as the cord drum would have a much smaller radius as any lever long enough so the torque requirement will not be as great. I don’y know how they go when the cord gets to the limit of travel. Do they just sit there or go up in smoke? A brushed motor would probably smoke. A servo may have a little more torque for the size than a brushed motor so this would be some advantage. If it does not smoke when forcibly stopped this would be a definite advantage but I can’t see this being the case.

Perhaps someone with a bit more experience with servos could help here.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Just an update that I finally received another servo via Aliexpress, an MG90S, and have connected it up to my D1-mini and it works!! So it wasn’t anything to do with not enough voltage as this one has the same power requirements as the SG-90. Obviously the original SG-90 had issues; it’s a cheap servo anyway. Thanks again for everyone’s assistance with this.

-Tim

2 Likes