Detect an object in grass or vegatation

Evening,
I am looking for suggestions on how I might use a Raspberry PI or Adrino to dedtect the presence of an object which is on the surface but covered with foliage (say it is in weeds or thick grass). We have thought about IF the object had magnetic paint (dots) on it could the Magnetometer detect that? We have thought about using IR to detect temperasture differences. We are thinking about how LIDAR might be used. We are looking for a detection range of 1-2’ (min).

Who has options for this problem set? Open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks,
-Bruce

1 Like

Welcome Bruce!!

I’d check out an IR camera to detect obfuscated objects: Non-contact IR Thermometer Sensor | DFRobot SEN0206 | Core Electronics Australia
If you are just looking to detect movement or something of the likes a PIR would also save a lot of money! PIR Infrared Motion Sensor (HC-SR501) | Core Electronics Australia

Magnetic flux vs distance falls off exponentially, sources led me to this formula:

Source
At a long-range the magnetic noise from your electronics would likely be higher amplitude than any magnets

Night vision goggles use sensitive IR cameras so ought to work great!

LIDAR is great for measuring distances and sometimes uses IR but doesn’t offer any ‘presence’ detection