Esp32 with external antenna

Good afternoon, Im building another humidity control system, but this time I’ll need to utilise an esp32 with an external antenna due to the location it’s being fitted, standard wifi can not be picked up. If possible the antenna lead would have a lead thats around 500mm to ensure i can keep it away from the metal enclosure the esp is enclosed in. look forward to hearing your ideas.
Cheers Dave

3 Likes

Hi David,

Other than spinning up your own PCB I’d take a look at the WiPy, its got a uFL connector so you can hook it up to an antenna. Does your enclosure have to be metal?

2 Likes

Hi Liam,
Thanks for that, the reason I mentioned it being in a metal enclosure is I’m using it in a refrigerated shipping container so I need to mount the antenna externally. I cant get and signals through all that metal haha.
Cheers Dave

3 Likes

Hi David
Keep the antenna lead as short as possible or you will lose most of the signal in the cable.
Try and find a vertical whip type designed to be mounted on a ground plane (the metal surface of the container. This should work better than one just hanging off the end of the cable. If the container and the other end are going to remain stationary a directional antenna could be considered for better results.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes