Fermion: 1.8" 128x160 IPS TFT LCD Display with MicroSD Card Slot (Breakout) (DFR0928)

This is a placeholder topic for “Fermion: 1.8” 128x160 IPS TFT LCD Display with MicroSD Card Slot (Breakout)“ comments.

This ST7735S 1.8” TFT Display features a resolution of 128×160 and SPI (4-wire) communication. Integrated with an SD card slot, it allows to easily read…

Read more

This display will not work with the Raspberry Pi Pico W (and possibly other Pico variants). I’m not sure what the issue is, but there’s something that stops the SPI between the Pico and the display from working. The SD card will work fine with the Pico.

I have, however, confirmed that this will work with the ESP32-devkit-v1 board using CircuitPython and the Adafruit ST7735R library.

It will also work with an Arduino Uno using the DFRobot_GDL library, however memory is very constrained in this setup and may cause issues. Moving to an Arduino with more RAM (e.g. the Mega) will likely solve this.

1 Like

Hey Alex,

Thanks for letting us know! I can see on the DFRobot wiki that it does specifically reference this as being incompatible with the Arduino Uno due to memory reasons. I think their recommendation is to run it with a Firebeeetle ESP32-E or similar for this reason but note that its recommended to be an Arduino compatible board.

It’s great to see that you have successfully integrated CircuitPython, as it potentially expands the availability for specific projects that rely on it instead of the conventional Arduino code. This integration enhances the versatility of capabilities, which can be credited to your diligent efforts and possibly benefit projects that have been seeking a compatible display like this one.

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like