We’ve moved location! The new Core Electronics HQ has enough room for all sorts of activities, including a huge vibrant room we’ve code named “Knowledge Factory”. We intend to provide workshops for all ages with all sorts of technologies, our first was on Saturday just gone called “littleBits Inventors Workshop”.
Our littleBits Inventors Workshop was a blast. The goal of this workshop was to show young creative minds how to invent - building creations and remixing them in unique ways. We reached out to some local friends and family for volunteers aged between 8-12. At the heart was littleBits; we had kits of all assortments and Clarissa (our wonderful Creative Director @ Knowledge Factory) to help ignite everyone’s inner inventor.
Here are some photo highlights of the day, starting from left to right we have:
- Gareth showing his team’s invention - a pinball machine. During the remix phase, Gareth and his team introduced a point scoring system and found ways to fix the “dead ball” zones. Highly addictive and we’re still going at each others high scores the following Monday at work.
- A remote control car built by Sophie and David - Clarissa helped out with some advance gluing techniques!
- Everyone mid-flight with inventions @ Knowledge Factory
- 3D Printing
- “Internet of Things” with Particle
- Raspberry Pi
- Maker Skills - Schematics, PCBs & Soldering
- Maker Skills - Simulation, Test and Measurement, Repair
It’s essential that you get in touch with Clarissa if you’d like to register your interest for yourself or your kids over the summer holidays (best suited for those in the Newcastle area, for now!). Clarissa’s email is:
If you are not in the Newcastle region and are interested then let us know if you’d like us to drop by your local neighbourhood and we’ll see what can be done! Again, essential that you do so we can gauge the interest.
Important - Let us know what age you/the participants are, your postcode, and (this part is optional), if you have a specific technology / skill you’d like to level up on.
If you have any general questions then please do post them below in the comments!
This blog can also be viewed here