Looking for 3d model of complex shape

Hi to everyone. I am new to the forum. Joined because I’m looking for some help.
I just purchased a 3d printer Voxelab Aquila
My wife’s birthday is next month and I want to print a present for her. It’s going to be a cylindrical shape purse. I’ve already come up with the purse handle, but can nothing do with the purse body.
As a said I want it to be a cylindrical shape. I found some good tracery such as in the pictures. I know there is another shape, but I want to transform one of these into the needed shape. But, I’m not that good at 3d modeling. Will appreciate any advice on what I can do. Maybe some website where I can download similar patterns.

2 Likes

Hi Jaffrey,

I’ve taught myself some basic 3D modeling using Fusion 360s hobbyist license but my designs are all very boxy and square.
That kind of organic-looking geometry is outside of anything I’ve modeled so I’m not sure how best to achieve it, I know there are some sculpting tools in Fusion that allow for more curved natural shapes but that’s a very manual process analogous to hand sculpting.

Do you have any more information about how those eggs were designed by their creator? If they have been procedurally generated you could try to follow down that path but that’s mixing fractal mathematics with 3D modeling which is outside of my experience.

2 Likes

Something like this:

That example (using the Voronoi effect) includes a number of links that might be helpful: the effect is similar to what you have described. But it won’t just be a matter of downloading some patterns. You will need to create a basic design in a 3D CAD application, and then apply a suitable technique to get the effect - it’s not a simple task. Modifying a 3D printing file, such as .stl, is very difficult, and only small changes are really feasible. You need to start with the original CAD design and change that in the modelling program, and original CAD files are not always available. Here is an example of a cylindrical handbag, but I can’t see that it includes the original CAD files: the contributor might provide them if you ask politely.

3 Likes

The first link is close to what I want. Thanks a lot

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

Good find with that Thingiverse discovery! It was nice of the creator to link to the Voronator plugin they used and provide an online tool.

1 Like

Hi Jaffrey,

If you’re a keen programmer/have some math background id checkout OpenSCAD. It takes the graphical part out of parametric CAD design and lets you manually describe the shape of an object - I haven’t had the chance to tinker around with it but seen it be used in very powerful ways!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’ll look at it

1 Like

Really useful! Thanks

1 Like