PiicoDev RFID Module - Guide for Raspberry Pi

Michael just shared a new tutorial: "PiicoDev RFID Module - Guide for Raspberry Pi"

Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) uses electromagnetic fields to identify and communicate with tags. Each RFID module emits radio waves that energise the passive tag, which then responds with its own identifying number or data, as requested.
In …

Read more

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: PiicoDEV RFID Module + ncfpy Python Library

Hi Team,
I bought some piicodev modules (RFID and atmospheric sensor) to have a play with for a PoC. Because of the availability issues of Raspberry PI’s I opted to test with a Rock64. However, it keeps complaining it can’t find the device (“OSError: [Errno 6] No such device or address”) whenever I call " rfid = PiicoDev_RFID()".
Is the piicodev compatible with Rock64 SBC’s? The Rock64 is running Armbian and I have tried enabling i2c7 and i2c8, independent and both, but so far I haven’t had much luck. Python3 and pip is installed.
If piicodev isn’t compatible with Rock64, does the LibreBoard work? Or the Asus TinkerBoard?
Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi @Olger215849 - PiicoDev officially supports Raspberry Pi, Pico, and micro:bit by using the PiicoDev_Unified.py file which handles the different ways each port of MicroPython/Python does I2C setup and transacting.
If you’re feeling pioneering - PiicoDev_Unified.py is the file you would have to modify to introduce support for your selected dev. board.
If you decide to go down this route we’d love to hear from you! Open an issue or a pull-request on the github repo!

3 Likes

Thanks for the extensive article, as well as especially the Python library. While there is often a lot of good hardware, most time it lacks proper or simple to use software. The software is really easy to use, and I was able to implement the reader as an option for usable reader into my CocktailBerry (GitHub here) project, besides the default mfr522 reader. The lower pin connection count needed is a nice plus of this reader. Keep the good work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Andre,

Thanks for saying so, and thank you for sharing your project so others can have a crack at making their own CocktailBerry build!

Nice to join you I would like to have more information about PIICODEV RFID module that you developed

Hi @John254279 - what do you want to know?

1 Like

Hi! Core Electronics Forum
I’m contacting you to get more information about your RFID Module.

1 Like

Alright - what information do you need @John254279
Please be specific

1 Like

I would like to buy the piicodev! But I don’t know if possible to send it to TOGO or china it depends the place which is convenient to you

1 Like

Core Electronics ships internationally - you can try placing an order on the website :slight_smile:

1 Like