Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera – First Pictures and Videos

Hey all, new guide on "Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera – First Pictures and Videos"

Introducing the Raspberry Pi High-Quality Camera, the third-generation camera module designed by Raspberry Pi. A first for the Raspberry Pi ecosystem, there is now an official camera with a fully adjustable focus and aperture. Another first is the C-, CS-mount and an on-device tripod mount. This camera module can output images at a resolution of 4056x3040, default video resolution at 1080P30!

This guide will get you taking pictures and videos ASAP with this technology. It will also show you how to take advantage of all the photography and video settings that are available with this technology so you can record video in slow motion and take timelapse photography.

If you want a comparison run-down on a whole bunch of camera modules and lenses this guide is the place for you .

Read more

5 Likes

Wonderful tutorial @Tim. Thanks so much.

Just wanted to ask, how would you best go about trying to hook the RPi High Quality Camera lens up to some sort of servo such that you could remotely control the aperture and focus?

I’m guessing there currently is no auto-focus lens available?

4 Likes

I was looking into ways to do exactly that just a little bit ago. An absolutely amazing project that does exactly what you are talking about I have linked below. This has everything you need to create a remotely controlled aperture and focus HQ Raspberry Pi camera.

4 Likes

The RPI HQ camera uses C and CS mount lenses so if you expand your search to any C or CS mount lens you might have some luck, though getting them to work with a Pi may be another question.

Here’s another open source autofocus project:

5 Likes

“Timelapse” Mispelled Multiple Times - just a heads up

2 Likes

Cheers mate, I went through and added hyphens to all the culprits.

3 Likes

Hi.

I am a total newbie to practical DIY and the raspberry pi as a whole. However for an upcoming project, I want to ask if it is possible to have multiple cameras (for instance around a house) streaming live video to a central raspberry pi, and this is done at 60 fps?

Or will each camera need its own separate raspberry pi? Thank you.

Hey Camera,

Welcome to the forums!

It is entirely possible to use one Raspberry Pi as a Hub for multiple cameras, this can be done with wireless cameras like the ESP32CAM or using Raspberry Pi Zero Ws as the camera modules.

I did find a guide to use MotionEyeOS to make a multi-camera security hub using a Pi that may be useful for you, so check it out here.

Cheers,
Blayden