Temperature Sensor - TMP36 (SEN-10988)

This is a placeholder topic for “Temperature Sensor - TMP36” comments.

This is the same temperature sensor that is included in our SparkFun Inventor’s Kit. The TMP36 is a low voltage, precision centigrade temperature sensor. It provides a voltage output that is linearly proportional to the Celsius temperature. It also doesn’t require any external calibration to provide typical accuracies of ±1°C at +25°C and ±2°C over the −40°C to +125°C temperature range. We like it because it’s so easy to use: Just give the device a ground and 2.7 to 5.5 VDC and read the voltage on the Vout pin. The output voltage can be converted to temperature easily using the scale factor of 10 mV/°C.

Read more

We will measure air temperature within and around a vertical green wall containing differ plants species. Air temperature will be measured continually at 2 meter intervals using probes/sensors. These probes will be exposed to sun and rain (we can put the circuit in plastic box)

However, I am not sure what supporting wires, platform is required to operate the probes.

Can you pls advise which probes and supporting Arduino will be most effectively serve my purposes?

Also let me know for 12 air temperature sensors, how many Arduino platform I need for data download etc.

Hi Tanveer!

You could easily connect 12 of these to an Arduino Mega!

I recommend you check out the SparkFun Inventors Kit to learn a little about Arduino and how to wire up this very temperature sensor. If you work through the temperature projects in the kit you will learn all the skills you need to make your idea a reality!

A word of caution though, you may not be able to get accurate readings very far away from the Arduino. You can measure temperature by reading the voltage, and there is a potential for voltage drop along a wire that’s longer than 5 meters. You might get incorrectly colder readings the longer the wire is. You could always test it out and account for the difference in your code though!

I don’t expect that this sensor is weatherproof, so you will need to mount it in a weatherproof housing.

Good luck with your project! Be sure to share your results!

1 Like