Using a still-pipe to improve ultrasonic accuracy

Hi there!!
I was wondering if anyone has used a still-pipe before to improve the accuracy of a JSN-SR04T ultrasonic sensor??
I am currently creating a project to measure the depth of the water in a water tank. I purchased a JSN-SR04T ultrasonic sensor to measure the distance to the top of the water. i decided on this sensor as it was waterproof. However, after purchasing the sensor and testing it, I realised that the spread of the beam is too wide and the echo would bounce off the side of the tank. After doing some research I discovered that some people was using still-pipes to help with unwanted echos.
https://madisonco.com/index.php/technical-resourcess/tech-notes/120-ultrasonic-level-sensor-installation-and-still-pipe-use.html
I am yet to try it and was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or used similar techniques to improve an ultrasonics performance.

Hi Denver,
I haven’t used them myself, however, you can get distance sensors with varying beam widths, so perhaps a different sensor could help?

I thought the same thing @Sam. However, the sensor would have to be waterproof as I am using it in a water reservoir. I will persist with the current sensor and try it in a tube. I will report back on the outcome if anyone else is having similar issues.

1 Like