Weatherproofing the PiicoDev Atmospheric Sensor BME280

Given that this sensor needs to be ‘exposed’ to the weather for a to-be-built weather station, the question is … how much weatherproofing is needed? I am concerned about moisture and (current) very low temperatures causing frost to form on surfaces. I could wrap the sensor in plastic, but that could affect the barometric and humidity sensors.

Would a screen like this provide enough protection?

Murray

2 Likes

Addendum. hmmm maybe an experiment - place something inside the screen, place it outside and see if any frost forms on the article inside the screen … ie does frost only form on ‘upper / outside’ surfaces???

1 Like

These are all good questions @Murray125532 - our approach has so far been with maker education. If you decide to put together a practical outdoor project consider sharing your project so others can benefit from what you learn along the way!

Intiuition tells me an enclosure like that would go a long way to protect from frost and dew - it seems to be the going rate for atmospheric sensing hardware.

2 Likes

test set up - screen outside, with a piece of plastic about the same size as the BME280 board inside it, wrapped in tissue paper as a cheap moisture sensor. BRrrr - up earlyish tomorrow to check it

2 Likes

Well of course - weather being weather - it didn’t freeze last night… But the test still was beneficial as, while the outside of the screen and the general surroundings were wet from the morning dew, the tissue and the piece of plastic inside were quite dry. Cold yes, but dry.
Seems promising. After all a Stevenson Screen as used by the Met contains several highly sensitive and expensive items, and they all survive :upside_down_face:

2 Likes