7 Colour E-Ink Display For Raspberry Pi | Inky Impression 5.7" (7 Colour ePaper/eInk HAT)

Hi Sean,

Looks like I was barking up the wrong tree then.

The only other thing I can think of is file ownership, i.e. the user the script is running as, doesn’t have permissions to access hardware peripherals.

Would it work to try and run it via rc.local instead? Apparently that will run it as root, and it doesn’t get any better than that.
https://forums.raspberrypi.com//viewtopic.php?f=63&t=46125

2 Likes

In the terminal, I typed sudo mousepad /etc/rc.local to edit it
I added
/home/pi/inky/examples/7color/html.sh /home/pi/inky/examples/7color/hello-world.html
and it did something interesting. It created a new screenshot in the filesystem root folder /screenshot.png with the content that I want to display.
It didn’t put it on the e-ink display, but it did something, which was the lightbulb moment! That image.py it references didn’t know where that picture was and therefore couldn’t run.
I edited the last line of html.sh to
/home/pi/examples/7color/image.py /screenshot.png
and it works perfectly!!

Thank you so much James(!!!) for your help in getting this going, and I will share the final project once its finished.

2 Likes

Oh yes! (sory for the late reply) I saw this one a while back and it’s the PERFECT size for my art. Upscaling the art I make comes out to the exact same height of 480. I’m actually waiting on a photoframe made using that screen. I’m looking forward to displaying multiple art pieces! :smiley:

Hi Oretal,

That’s super great to hear! Glad to see we could help, and it’s nice to know it’s all working out a few months on.

Cheers,
Sophia

Hi - I really like the colors you achieved with your code. Is there a way I can use this for the inky frame? It uses the same screen, but with a picow, so it uses Thonny to communicate with the screen.

2 Likes

Hi Val,

Looks like the image example script doesn’t provide a saturation option (processing images is hard work, probably beyond a Pico), so I would up the saturation in paint.NET or GIMP before transferring it to the Pico.

2 Likes