A stupid question for a Linux user

Hi there,

I am trying to solve a puzzle. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I need to know if this product (LattePanda (4G/64GB/Without Win10 License) - The Most Powerful Win10 Dev Board | DFR0419 | Core Electronics Australia)
would run Fedora Linux on its raw hardware. I need all the hardware to work as I need to print and run networks through it.

Can someone please tell me will the Latte Panda work running Fedora Linux with all the hardware it has.

I know it’s built for WIndows but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with Linux.

I want to be able to print and use all the ports and wireless devices.

Hey Isaiah,

Welcome to the forum! No worries, it’s not a stupid question at all, it should run it yes as it is an x86 Architecture CPU on the LattePanda you’ve linked which has a bootloader configured for Trusted-Only UEFI boot (UEFI or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface is just a standard specification for how at boot time your firmware is able to locate and access hardware locally to determine the entry point to boot. As a side note, it does a LOT more than this, but this is a simplified explanation so it doesn’t turn into an essay)

So all you should need to do is follow LattePandas install instructions for Ubuntu, but instead use a Fedora Image which should be publically available. I’d test this for you and come up with some instructions for what to download and how to install it, but unfortunately I don’t have a LattePanda with me to check at the moment. If anyone else has one and is free to throw Fedora on it please feel free to make a post :smile:

Enjoy your weekend!

2 Likes

Ah thanks so much for writing so fast and being so comprehensive,

These little things are so facinating. Okay so can you confirm @Bryce that they run on Ubuntu with no trouble using the ports and drivers all work okay?

Is there any review of examples of people in this community running linux on them

I have never had any experience with these CPU’s,

I am simply wanting a more quiet computer to do my writing and research. (i.e I just need a text editor, Word prompt and Browser)

thanks again

Hi @Isaiah200226

From a Lattepanda forum topic:

You can design a scheme that Linux (run on Intel CORE CPU) send a text message (e.g., “Ardu D4 HIGH”) to the Arduino side over the USB-serial channel (ttyACM0), while
on Arduino side, you write an Arduino script listening to that serial input, parse the incoming command, then change its I/O pin state.

In another word, use Arduino as a slave IO controller and let Linux/Intel M3-7Y30 be its master.
This indirectly control the IO pins.

P.S. for simple IO task, you might want to consider using I2C (purple dotted line) to direct drive some specialized, separate I2C control boards.

And each variant of Lattepanda has OS instructions for various flavours.