Active Cooler pi 5

good evening, but is there a script to make the fan on the Raspberry Pi 5 Active Cooler work? Does it automatically activate high temperature?
s-l400

1 Like

Hi Giuseppe,

The cooler doesn’t run all the time and turns on at high temperatures. Raspberry Pi has a section explaining the temperatures vs the fan speeds on their site.

2 Likes

I bought one of these for my Pi 5, highly recommend it.
It’s the best cooler I have seen for Raspberry Pi boards and I have tested a few.

2 Likes

first of all I thank you for dedicating a minute to me…then it does everything by itself it starts at high temperatures I understand thank you very much

hi, thanks to you too for the reply, you say that this active heat sink is the best? You, who tested it, how much does it dissipate heat?

This cooler fits nicely on the board allowing hats to be connected easily. Other coolers for the Pi 3B+ and Pi 4 did not fit as well and sometimes interfered with connecting hats. The Pi 5 benefits from having a fan controller built in.

I cannot find my notes on speed testing and heat dissipation using this cooler. Core Electronics have a tutorial or guide on keeping the Pi 5 cool and a test to use, I think. From memory I think the CPU temp reached 60 degrees celsius when the most stressful test was used. Most of the tests it remained around 40 degrees. Which, in my opinion, is pretty good. The fan automatically increases when the temperature rises and if the Pi is idle the fan is off.

I will run the tests again and post here the results.

Regards
Jim

EDIT: Link to guide.

1 Like

Ran the ‘stress’ program (sudo apt install stress) and the CPU temp sat around 60 degrees celsius with the fan running, not full speed. CPU usage 100%
stress --cpu 4 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 5m
The example listed --cpu 8, this pushed the temperature up towards 70 degrees. CPU usage 100%. Fan noise evident.

Desktop idle CPU temp sits around 50 degrees, with fan off, after cool down.

There are many documented tests using the Active Cooler.
Regards
Jim

1 Like

Hey Giuseppe,

We ran the Pi 5 under full load and fully overclocked for 16 hours and we didn’t see any thermal throttling. Very happy with the active cooler’s performance.

"

(This was a part of our second round of Pi 5 Testing)

1 Like