Any electronic dabblers in Swansea / Belmont area?

Hi, I’m retired and have an interest in electronics. I’ve got quite a bit of (unused) arduino kit and would love to find a similar dabbler in the Swansea / Belmont area - preferably someone with a bit more expertise than me - so that we could work on projects together. My particular interest and desire is to develop my ability in electronic fault finding and repair. Fingers crossed…
David B,
Caves

3 Likes

If you do not find anyone here, you can post your query to the freelancing websites.

Hi David,

Other than the FabLab in the Swansea Library I’d check out some other Makerspaces/Mens sheds in the Newcastle Area.

What were you looking to repair? Keen to help out if possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Liam,
Great to receive your reply.
Re FabLab - yes, I know about that facility; indeed I’m in the process of supervisor training. However FabLab seems to be more about fabricating with all the u-beaut kit it has.
My interest is more into electronics, particularly diagnostics and repair. Yes, in a way I’m probably dreaming - like a primary age kid wanting to jump straight into Uni level stuff without doing the hard yards of properly learning how to walk before learning how to run…

I’ve got a couple of current projects:

• a '60s vintage Husqvarna sewing machine - seems like the only problem is that a wire has come detached. All components seem ok (cord, foot pedal, brushes, wirings… the capacitor is a dual start/run capacitor so I’ve been trying to figure out where that detached wire should join the circuit. (I don’t want to experiment trial-and-error and blow the motor of the capacitor, so trying to apply circuit theory to what actually is in front of me).
  • I’ve got 3 laptops:
  • I’m in the process of replacing a communication cord which was severed when a hinge broke. Hopefully that will restore that one.
  • Other 2 - I’m bumbling along trying to diagnose, picking up hints from the Net…

So, yeah, would love a bit of mentoring…
Again, thanks for answering my post,

David Benge

1 Like

Hi David,

If you’re focussed more on bringing old objects back to life and learning some skills while you do it a repair cafe might be the kind of event to look out for.

As luck would have it there was one in your area recently, but hopefully there is another one soon. I’ll link the details below, but I think this would be the best fit for the projects you had in mind.

1 Like

Hi Trent,
Yes, I actually attended the WB Repair Cafe, but unfortunately the scheduled electrician did not turn up. However, I had a good yarn to two of the “Toy Repair” guys and have pencilled in the next Cafe - 6 Nov Cardiff Sth.
I also spoke with the Cafe organiser and followed up with an email suggesting holding cafes in Eastlakes; I suggested Swansea library (next to the new FabLab) in particular. So, fingers crossed…
Again, thanks for taking time to reply,
Regards,

David Benge

1 Like

Hi David,

Great to hear! I’ve never made it to a repair cafe myself but it sounds like a great initiative. It’s been a while since I worked in electronics repair so it might be a good way to brush up on skills that haven’t been used in some time.