Anyone know about ESP8266?

Just a quick easy question - Im looking at tackling my first project based on the ESP8266 and so have no knowledge around them. To get me going Im looking at an “instructable” based on the ESP8266MOD. I see Core has several modules based on this chipset - which one would be closest?

2 Likes

You can check out: ESP8266 based WiFi Modules for IoT Projects - The Engineering Projects to learn more about the ESP8266.

For the ESP8266 modules available on core, you can try out: WiFi Module - ESP8266 (4MB) | Sparkfun WRL-17146 | Core Electronics Australia

2 Likes

Many thanks!
I guess what I was asking really was, would this directly replace the MOD variant? I was surprised to find that there seems to be different versions or variants of the ESP8266 and I haven’t yet picked up on the reasons for this. The MOD variant is out there, however Core’s range doesn’t include it. Its looking to me that it won’t matter. This project puts some software into it which effectively turns it into an internet radio.

1 Like

WiFi Module - ESP8266 (4MB) | Sparkfun WRL-17146 cannot directly replace the MOD version in all cases. Specially if already have a PCB and you want to replace one by another, you’ll have to redesign. Because these modules have different PCB layouts…If you see the specs you’ll see that the RAM is not same also.

2 Likes

Hi Tony,

Would you be able to link the guide you are following?

In terms of breakout boards the Sparkfun Thing (dev board) gives you access to all of the pins and some extra features, an onboard FTDI programmer so you just plug a USB cable in!

Liam

3 Likes

Looks like the go for a first timer and possably one off… as I understand it, plug into usb on a PC with appropriate software, arduino IDe with the plugins, and away you go - am I reading that right?

2 Likes

Im looking to build this Esp8266 Internet Radio : 6 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

3 Likes

Hi Tony,

Looks like an interesting guide!
There are some pin definitions that change a bit (the ESP8266 in the guide breaks out and labels pins based on the pin from the module, letting you make connections to strapping pins which might lead to unexpected results).

Though it looks the closest to: FireBeetle ESP8266 IOT Microcontroller (Supports Wi-Fi) | DFRobot DFR0489 | Core Electronics Australia

Liam

2 Likes

I suggest starting out with a Wemos D1 mini board… it’s widely available, cheap, easy to program via something like Arduino IDE, and easy to connect to with standard PCB headers. Once you have that working, you’ll know a whole lot more and probably be able to decide yourself whether you want a MOD or some other version. And then you’ll have your D1 Mini to use on some other project. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have a look at

They have lots on ESP32 and ESP8266

2 Likes

This is a good starter project with ESP8266.

This is about creating a web server using ESP8266. The server will control the activation of an LED.

1 Like

Tony,
depending on your soldering skills I’d look at an I2S Amp to save on building the amplifier part. That way you just have to use jumper leads to get things connected. Try Adafruit I2S 3W Class D Amplifier Breakout - MAX98357A | ADA3006 | Core Electronics Australia

Also you can use Adafrut’s learning page. Overview | Adafruit MAX98357 I2S Class-D Mono Amp | Adafruit Learning System
Dave

1 Like