Connecting stepper motor to Gravity DFR0502 I/O expansion and motor drive shield

My stepper 28BYJ-48 (5 Vdc) has 5 wires - GND and 4 for the coils. How do I connect it to the 4 terminals on the shield? Motor connection to the driver accessory is 8, 9, 10, 11 and uses the Stepper.h library.

1 Like

There is some discussion of this issue here:

1 Like

Thanks but unipolar mode is fine. I’m looking for the terminal’s configuration and addressing. Cheers

Thumbed and sent from my iPhone

| Jeff105671
29 June |

• | - |

There is some discussion of this issue here:

Ardufocus

Ardufocus | 28BYJ-48 Bipolar Mod

This tutorial will teach you how you can convert easily the Unipolar 28BYJ-48 stepper motor into a Bipolar one.

1 Like

Do you mean that you want to drive it as a unipolar motor using the two DC motor drivers? That requires a 5-wire connection, not 4. The typical configuration is to use the two DC motor driver terminals for the coils, with the centre tap taken to the motor supply (5V for that motor). That seems to translate to 4/5 for one coil, and 6/7 for the other, so I’m not sure about your reference to 8,9,10,11. But it’s not clear that driving a stepper like this will work for this board, as it is specifically configured for DC motors. There is comment here that suggests it cannot be done. Much better to use your stepper driver accessory with a bipolar motor and simply connect direction and step to any available pins.

1 Like

Hi All
I have one of these stepper motors. It came with a small experimenters kit from Jaycar. I have not had a play with it yet. In the kit is a little driver board based on a ULN2003 driver IC and has 4 LEDs to indicate stepper status. It has 4 input pins (from Arduino etc) and a 5 pin connector to mate with a 5pin connector on the motor wires.
Jeff is correct I think when he says the common wire is connected to 5V and each coil is taken to ground in turn to drive the motor.
The Jaycar cat no is XC4458 and I am pretty sure there is some information on this and sample Arduino code floating around the internet somewhere. I have had this for some time now so have forgotten where to find this info so happy searching.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Thanks for that. I have re-read the product description nand realise that I saw “stepper” listed as a compatible motor in my mind…
I can use the accessory driver board so will do that.

I got a similar kit from Elegoo (via Amazin’) and had a lot of fun doing the tutorials. I’m now putting the temp. and humidity sensor together with the LCD panel and using the stepper motor and remote controller to manage my model train turntable while the 2nd line of the display shows the destination point( (6 altogether) Wish me luck!