DIY Storage System for Hardware

Hi all

I am working on a new project and I have a couple of questions about how I should proceed and what I need to make it work.

Here is the project:
I am designing a storage box system for different sized screws, nails, bolts, washers, etc. and I want an easy way to tell the amount of each size I have. I am thinking of using a small LED Display with 2 buttons, one to plus 1 to the amount and one to minus 1 from the amount. Probably powered by a raspberry pi or arduino.

I have no experience in electronics or coding, except for simply meddling with switches and buttons, and therefore have no idea what to use, where to start or anything like that. If you could help me out it would be much appreciated

Hi Bailey,

This sounds like a great project to get started with! If you’re completely new, checking out our

is a good place to start.
When detecting button presses, debouncing is a crucial step, have a read of our guide:

After you’ve had a mess around with an Arduino, you can start thinking about how your project will be setup, how many “channels” (boxes to count) will you need? What’s your ideal system fit into your workspace?

Keen to see this come to life!
-James

1 Like