EDMI Gas Meter sensor

I have a EDMI U8 gas meter (common for Australia)
And need to find a way to monitor the gas usage. There is a rotating metallic object on one of the plastic gear cogs, which I originally thought was magnetic but after buying several types of reed switches and testing them, I have concluded the object on this cog is not magnetic but a piece of metal.

So what I need to figure out is what electronic component do I need to get in order to record 1 full rotation of this gear cog?

Any input on this would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Hi Clinton,

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

A sensitive magnetometer or tachometer might be able to work, though through the enclosure you’d have to do some calibration work to make sure you get a result that you’re happy with.

Although using a camera and machine learning algorithm might be the way to go(I’d check out this guide: https://tutorials-raspberrypi.com/raspberry-pi-text-recognition-ocr/)

Liam

2 Likes

Hi Clinton,

I stumbled across this thread a while later, so sorry for resurrecting it, but probes like these are used to detect the beds of 3D printers for levelling, and if your material is conductive, and it’s within 5mm of the bottom of the housing, it may be able to pick it up:

-James

1 Like