Electronic switch

Hi. Looking for a simple solution for a project. Currently, Im using a 2 Channel relay module and fast recovery diodes, to switch at high frequency input (5dcv)to provide a pulse and reverse polarity load at 35dcv / 1amp. Obviously, the relays will burn out, therefore im searching for a simple electronic switch module. Maybe a motor driver, that only requires a on/off voltage input signals or solid state relays. Thank you in advance for your help.

4 Likes

Hi Brett,

Welcome!!

I’d have a look at using a MOSFET, I covered the basics of selecting one over on my project (still in work).
Also take a look at this MOSFET module: Freetronics N-MOSFET Driver / Output Module | Core Electronics Australia
To help out more what kind of frequency are you looking to switch and how much current is your input able to source?

Re: using a motor driver, you might be able to use it but there are lots of caveats, if you accidentally switch the polarity your circuit might let out the magic smoke

3 Likes

Hi Brett

Don’t know why unless they are abused. Should last a long time.

You won’t switch relays at very high frequency. A typical switching time for the average relay is 10msec on and 10msec off.

The Mosfet board Liam linked above is a useful device where all the ancillary bits are mounted on the board for you and has only 3 connections.

But. It is a bit hard to guess exactly what you are trying to do so could you post some sort of circuit or diagram explaining your problem.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Hi. Robert

Thank you for your reply. I replied to Liam via email and attached a image/ video of my project, my bad i though the images would show up here.

2 Likes

Hi. Bob.

Re Mosfet

The MOSFET board i believe switches negative…i require both neg and positive. Im currently looking at trigger switch module 4-way fet mos dc control board.

3 Likes

transistors like BJT, FET and MOSFET would be use as switch and they are in range of your required frequency

1 Like

Hi.

Thank you for your reply

I decided that a DC solid state relays might be suitable and robust. However, I might need to reduce the frequency range.

I found this SSR.

LBA710 is a 60V, 1A, 0.6Ω dual Solid State Relay integrating independent single-pole normally open (1-Form-A) and single-pole normally closed (1-Form-B) relays into a single package. It features a superior combination of low on-resistance and 1A load current handling capability.

3 Likes

Hi Brett
An N Channel mosfet would be used for low (Negative) side switching and a P Channel mosfet for High (positive) side switching. The high side switch is a little more complicated and usually requires the addition of a transistor.

Regarding the LBA710. Without knowing exactly what you are intending to do it would be a bit difficult to comment on the use of this device.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Hi Brett,

A bit more context here would help a lot, what exactly are you trying to drive?

Note some SSR’s require a 0 V point to start conducting

1 Like

Hi Liam
The LBA710 device Brett found seems to be an opto isolator with some relay type functions and should switch DC OK.

BUT

I still stand by that statement and would need to know all the details before further comment.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

sometime back i was working on similar project and i managed to design my own electronic switch that helped me so much. Have a look at it here DC Relay Switch Module - Share Project - PCBWay and see if it my help you out too

1 Like