GlowBit™ rainbow Quickstart Guide for micro:bit

I’ve just shared a new tutorial: “GlowBit™ rainbow Quickstart Guide for micro:bit”

In this guide we will wire a rainbow to a micro:bit and upload an example program to make sure everything works. From there, it’s up to you what you make next!

Read more

2 Likes

Yew, our first Core Electronics Original! While well inside the for-fun zone, we learned -a lot- through this project. Plenty more on the bake, stay tuned :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great job! Congratulations to the Core ‘Crew’! A great little accessory for the Microbit. Excellent for Maths lessons and more. With V2 now out…Microbit is going from strength to strength. Going to throw it up on Yammer straight away. Keen to see what you are cooking up next. Have you asked the community for ideas?? Karl :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I bought the GlowBit Rainbow to use with my Arduino Uno figuring it was awesome and easy becasue:
“feature 13 RGB LEDs that can be controlled with a variety of microcontrollers, including Arduino, the micro:bit and Adafruit’s Circuit Playground.”

unfortunately the only Quickstart Guide was for the MicroBit - which is fine! Great product, but thought i’d add a link to the Arduino tutorial as well;
NeoPixel Tutorial - Arduino Project Hub

also the NeoPixel Github page for those who need the library :slight_smile:
GitHub - adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPixel: Arduino library for controlling single-wire LED pixels (NeoPixel, WS2812, etc.)

4 Likes

Here’s Core’s tutorial for neopixels with Arduino. Maybe they should add a link - or do one up for the glowbit specifically.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Question Regarding Micro:bit + Neopixels + Compass

hi love the projects with the Globit. earlier this year we purchased 100 of them from you and our students love them.I was wondering do you have the other projects listed in make code rather than python before I sit and work them out. our students have been working on this platform and I would like to continue using it? thanks again for the great work.

2 Likes

Hi @Warwick132867 :slight_smile: I did manage to dig up a few code examples I wrote for MakeCode. We’ve been focusing on MicroPython projects however, so these are pretty undocumented. Still, if you’d like to pick them apart to create exercises you’re welcome to. There’s a lot of conceptual overlap with the MicroPython examples so the original tutorial videos should still be useful to you.

• marquee - like the marquee demonstration from the tutorial
  • colour tilt - tilt in the X and Y axes to interactively change the intensity of red/blue. Useful colour mixing concept
  • mood lamp - selects a new random colour every time button A is pressed
  • dice - simulates two independently-rollable dice. As-is, dice B has an interesting roll animation
  • skill game - press the button when the centre LED is lit to advance.

Having said all that, it’s been a long time since I’ve had a look at these - beware. There could be bugs :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick responce they will be perfect.

3 Likes

Just a heads up - many of these examples were broken when we migrated the website. They’re fixed now! If you’ve been experiencing problems the page should be rebuilt tomorrow.

3 Likes