Gravity: Analog Waterproof Capacitive Soil Moisture Sensor (SEN0308)

This is a placeholder topic for “Gravity: Analog Waterproof Capacitive Soil Moisture Sensor” comments.

This is a new type of analog capacitive soil moisture sensor designed by DFRobot. Compared with the old soil moisture sensor, it has increased waterproof performance…

Read more

1 Like

I’ve found this to be the only sensor that lasts more than a few months in the soil. I’ve tried all kinds, including capacitive, and this one is still perfect after a year in a pot. Brilliant piece of hardware.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Shane!!

Awesome feedback!
I’m curious how you have this sensor and the others you have tested setup - do you also switch power on and off to increase the lifespan of the sensor?

Liam

Hi @Liam - I have had them all running at the same time, constant power in a given part of my garden. When I purchase them, say, a single vendor product, I will use one as a control, another with the edges better protected (perhaps liquid latex or other) and take measurements every minute and map in Prometheus/Grafana to view results. I’ll take them out of the soil once a month and look to see how readings differ and change over time. I can honestly say the DFRobot product seems to be holding up better than any so far! Yes, more expensive, but hey, you get what you pay for.
Kind regards,
Shane

Hey Shane,

That’s awesome feedback, thank you! How much of a difference have you seen compared to other comparable products so far? How much variation are you seeing with the sensor readings over time?

Cheers,
Blayden