Homemade generator

Hi Rodney,

Sounds like an interesting project! There’s an awful lot of energy involved in something that fast and powerful so it’d probably be best to start with something small scale so that you understand the principles before scaling up to something larger.

I’ll always remember the photo in my thermodynamics textbook of the carnage in a room after a centrifuge let go - it looked like a hand grenade had gone off (and the energy released was about the same!).

Here’s a spinny thing letting go:

You don’t want to be anywhere near them when they fail!

The output of a rotational generator will always have some AC component thanks to trigonometry. Coils in generators are usually connected in opposing pairs.

I’d recommend grabbing one of these little water turbines and doing some reverse engineering to understand how they work:

They’re actually a 3 phase AC generator with an onboard rectifier and regulator. Another good go to is to use an alternator from a vehicle. Modern vehicles often have alternators capable of providing more than 10 Amps (and at a lot less than 20,000 RPM, so they’re a lot safer).

What’s your application? The only thing I can think of is a direct drive generator from a gas turbine, either for a large RC aircraft, or just curiosity from a turbo-supercharger gas turbine.