How to get depth perception with one eye

as i have recently discovered the extreme inconvenience of having only one eye working i need to get my depth perception back by tricking the brain into thinking there are 2 eyes using cameras and a tiny screen that fits inside a pair of glasses
the only thing im having problems with is the display screen
any ideas ?

3 Likes

Hey Sebastian, welcome to the forums!

This sounds like an interesting project for sure. What sort of quality are you looking for out of this screen? Do you want it to be high quality or just basic shape information for the eye?

Regards,
Sam

1 Like

Hi All.
What are you trying to measure. A good question. I would imagine there are a whole lot of parameters being analysed and calculations going on in the brain to perceive distance or depth. Mind boggling.
cheers Bob

2 Likes

Sounds a lot like VR Goggles. Obviously they are designed for two eyes.
I saw one of those a few years ago that was pretty much a mobile phone in a fancy head mask. All the tricks were in the software. I wonder if there is an open source VR project around that could be modified for one eye.
Have you searched for other one eye projects along similar lines.
Good Luck
Post back with any progress
David

2 Likes

I’m looking for a screen about 30h X 50h mm in size of best quality so it looks real but needs to be a bit flexible as I wanted to fit into a pair of sunglasses for example and so could bend slightly to fit shape of the lens
It would also have to be clearly visible from about 2 cm
I’ve got stereoscopic cameras and was going use raspberry pi to create a single image
It’s only an idea since losing sight in one eye is really giving me the shits
If you’ve got any ideas that would be great
I’ve found a few which would be great but also very expensive on pension so was looking to spend about $30-$50

1 Like

Can you explain how a stereoscopic camera will present depth information to one eye? Are you going to use coloring or some other technique to indicate depth?

Clarity at 2cm is going to depend on the lens in front of the display, not the display itself. The bendiness required will depend on the curvature of that side of the lens where the display is attached. A Fresnell less will be flat, which simplifies the display, but there is loss of resolution and intensity.

1 Like

Hi Sebastian.
As Jeff says, how are you going to get depth information to the brain with only one eye.

Reminds me of earlier Golf Course distance measuring systems. There was a Monocular device that depended on the flag being a β€œstandard” height (2M I think that was).
Then there was a Binocular device that you adjusted to observe the target as a single object then read the distance off some sort of display. That still needed 2 eyes.

When you look at something your eyes adjust so you only see one object. If this were a mechanical device the angle subtended by the eyes would be measured, the distance between the eyes would be known so the length of the adjacent side of a right angle triangle could be calculated. In real life with a human head the brain processes this information on the fly so giving the person a perception of distance. I think if this were achievable with 2 cameras and 1 eye I think you could add some zeros to the $$ you mentioned.

I am not trying to kill off your project, it is very commendable but I just don’t see how at the moment. Having said that I can see why you are keen to try. I would hate to be in that position and I too would get very frustrated. I get that way enough now with age preventing me doing things I once did without thinking about it.

On an encouragement note I don’t think it has to be the end of the world. I once had a friend with only 1 eye. He owned and operated a concrete agitator truck successfully and played golf off a 4 handicap. Although to be fair he had to have a good knowledge of the course he was playing at the time. A current acquaintance with 1 eye also plays golf on a handicap of 14 or 15. In either case I don’t know at what stage in live one eye was lost.
My 18YO great grand daughter only has 1 eye and it doesn’t seem to worry her but she has had only one eye from birth.

Good luck
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Thanks Bob
As I said it’s only an experiment using chatgpt
Maybe with an ai processor it might work
Things are changing so fast these days It will happen
I don’t like giving up and considering that there will probably be a huge demand soon out of the Ukraine definitely something I think worth a shot ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
6d204e5ddd473c4ae51e2a5a3dc91414ddb80d76

2 Likes

Definitely is.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Sebastian,

Been reading and a skeptic about this topic but saw a post somewhere with this style of β€˜shaking photos’: The world in 3D from the 1920s - Album on Imgur

All of the considerations mentioned above will still be relevant, especially Jeffs about the lens and displays.
But hopefully this gives you some ideas about displaying content.

Finding some second hand FPV drone goggles might be the cheapest and easiest way to get your hands on a display.

1 Like

It occurs to me that perhaps simply showing the one eye both views might eventually work, after the brain has had a few days or maybe a couple of weeks to rewire (if you have access to hallucinogens, I gather they increase neuroplasticity, so that would probably help).

Stuff like this suggests this might be feasible. The tricky bit is that you probably want the views side by side, which won’t allow a very wide view.

This is probably the way to go, since these goggles are just mono with a single wide screen that both eyes can see, which would probably allow for a reasonably wide amount of screen that’s useful to one eye, maybe 2/3 or even 3/4 of the total width. Most of them are NTSC for the low latency though. And of course a lot bulkier than sunglasses.

… Hmm, come to think of it, perhaps it might work better with the views stacked one above the other, allowing easier comparison of the different views along the lateral axis.

1 Like

So you’re suggesting some shrooms
Awesome
Could you please pretend to be a doctor and put that in writing
Cheers ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
08f98d7f327d952ef3cbfcbe7c0051cb9f4162fd

2 Likes

I had a better thought than putting one view above the other - mix them!

It might work better if the mix isn’t 50/50, but biased slightly towards the side of the working eye. Actually, it might even be worthwhile to gradually add the off-side, sort of coaxing the circuitry to develop, and perhaps you can glean the depth info with only a slight ghost (say, 85/15) affecting the clarity?

Or maybe you need to start with a 50/50 mix to establish the rewiring mission and then turn down the off-side after you can discern depth, who knows.

It may work just fine without the hallucinogens, and it’s definitely worth finding out if that’s the case. Add trippiness if necessary.

As this topic is deviating away from the realm of electronics support it will now be closed.