How to use Force Sensitive Resistors with a Raspberry Pi and a ADS1015 ADC - Robotic Touch!

I have just shared content in Guides > Raspberry Pi: “How to use Force Sensitive Resistors with a Raspberry Pi and a ADS1015 ADC - Robotic Touch!”

Read more

3 Likes

I tried to use the FSR. Did not get satisfactory results.

2 Likes

That’s no good champ, pop through some images of your set up and provide some specs of the hardware you are using and we’ll figure it out!

3 Likes

Hmmm, any spare time I have these days is spent on the onewheel or playing with the Raspberry Pi. Super weird to see the Onewheel mentioned in this article! I guess i can look at repairing the foot pad sensor if that fails in the future! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the article, very interesting read.

2 Likes

Hello @Tim , did you think it is possible to setup FSR with Pico W? I am trying to create the similar things, and no any pressure data are needed. :grinning: Thanks.

1 Like

Welcome Sam,

Absolutely you can!

Instead of using a dedicated ADC board you can use the onboard ADC’s I’d follow along with a guide for the Arduino instead: Using an FSR | Force Sensitive Resistor (FSR) | Adafruit Learning System

@Liam120347 Thanks for the reply, I don’t have any engineering background :sob: :sob:, so your reply is very useful for me!

I am trying to built a pressure detector with Pico W, this is efficiency based on minimizing cost and power consumption, and this project only needs to know whether there is “pressure” and does not need to know the pressure data (so there should be no need for an ADC?).

Currently I have a Pi4B, Zero 2 W and Pico W and temporarily using a breadboard for testing. If you only use the first two, it is obviously easy to implement according to the guide, but when it is placed on Pico W, I really don’t know the relevant implementation method.

I was wondering if you could give me some instructions on how to connect the FSR to the Pico W on a breadboard? Especially the location of the connected pins. Thanks a lot !

Hello,
I am trying to use FSR to measure pressure distribution using your video . It appears the adafruit library is not available anymore. Is there any other alternative library for the same? To convert analog to digital? Thanks for your help

Hi Julie,

I can’t find what the links to the libraries in the video but I have the Arduino and Python libraries used with the ADS1015 used at the end of the video.

Hey Jack,
Thanks for your response. I am new to Raspberry Pi , so please guide me, how do I install this library you mentioned? In the article, they ask me to install the following:

sudo apt-get update

sudo pip3 install adafruit-ads1x15

sudo pip3 install adafruit-circuitpython-ads1x15

Hi Julie,
You’re welcome, I am quite new myself and understand that it does feel like a steep learning curve. It wants you to type these prompts into your console window.

If these words are confusing we already have a guide made for this. Hopefully this helps. These resistors seem useful for a variety of projects.

Will it be possible to transmit the pressure data from the sensors - wirelessly to the Raspberry Pi use FSR ?

Hi @Neel267781 - short answer yes, but you will probably need a microcontroller in the middle to handle reading the sensor and transmitting the result.

Check out our [ CE08757 ] PiicoDev Transceiver 915MHz and related guide