Jetson Nano Fan (FIT0671) not adjustable

I’ve tried the GitHub - Pyrestone/jetson-fan-ctl: Automagic fan control for the Nvidia Jetson Nano setup, (with various different configurations) and have also tried the following method (with varying values):

sudo sh -c ‘echo 0 > /sys/devices/pwm-fan/target_pwm’

but neither of which are able to stop the fan. The fan just keeps running at maximum speed until I remove power. Does anyone know what the problem might be, or how to troubleshoot the problem.

Carl

3 Likes

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
The last step in that setup includes a debugging line to check for errors, what output do you get when you run the last line?

sudo service automagic-fan status

Are you able to post a photo of your setup just in case there is a hardware-related issue we can spot?

1 Like

The follwowing is a status response for: sudo service automagic-fan status

● automagic-fan.service - Automagic fan control
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/automagic-fan.service; enabled; vendor pr
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-08-11 15:29:22 AEST; 24s ago
Process: 8313 ExecStopPost=/bin/sh -c /bin/echo 0 > /sys/devices/pwm-fan/targe
Process: 8315 ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 5 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 8330 (python3)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 4172)
CGroup: /system.slice/automagic-fan.service
└─8330 /usr/bin/python3 -u /usr/local/bin/automagic-fan/fanctl.py

Aug 11 15:29:17 carl-desktop systemd[1]: Starting Automagic fan control…
Aug 11 15:29:22 carl-desktop systemd[1]: Started Automagic fan control.
Aug 11 15:29:22 carl-desktop python3[8330]: Maximizing clock speeds with jetson_
Aug 11 15:29:22 carl-desktop python3[8330]: Setup complete.
Aug 11 15:29:22 carl-desktop python3[8330]: Running normally.
lines 1-15/15 (END)

Will post a photo shortly

1 Like

1 Like

So for some context, I have three Jetson Nanos, each driving their own camera, for a film I’ll be making over the next month. I have three of them running simultaneously, but the fans are way too loud during a take, so I want to turn the fans off during a take, and then resume the fans in between the takes. Just on/off.

I eventually want to do this from software I’ve written for the cameras (in C++), but that’s not going to happen if I can’t first get it to happen with a terminal command or script.

Carl.

1 Like

Hi Carl,

Seems like this thread got left behind a bit! (not like us at all!) I came across it while fixing up our product pages, and I’d like to get to the bottom of this for you (and others), but I get that you’ve probably moved on from this problem quite a bit, so if you don’t reply, I’m sure we’ll get it.

Does ls /sys/devices/pwm-fan come up with anything?

This isn’t a part of the automagic file control install script, so if that fails, it may point to a deeper issue like hardware
-James

1 Like

Hi James,
will be back in studio in a few days time, so can give you some feedback then.
cheers
Carl

4 Likes