Line Sensor Breakout - QRE1113 (Analog) (ROB-09453)

This is a placeholder topic for “Line Sensor Breakout - QRE1113 (Analog)” comments.

This version of the QRE1113 breakout board features an easy-to-use analog output, which will vary depending on the amount of IR light reflected back to the sensor. This tiny board is perfect for line sensing applications and can be used in both 3.3V and 5V systems.

Read more

Is the QRE1113 (digital) fast enough to sense a spinning DC small electric motor that I use in my model trams? In one model, I use three motors and they probably don’t all spin at the same speed at the same voltage. If so, I could use the QRE1113 to measure the RPM of a designated master motor and use this (with a micro-controller) to match the RPM of the designated slave motors to the master.

Thanks, Graeme.

Hey Graeme,

In short yes, however, the QRE1113 is a phototransistor and transmitter system that would be applicable but what will limit you is the clock speed of the microcontroller that is capturing the data and processing it in real-time to control the slave motors. My recommendation would be to adjust the rpm by programming a microcontroller using PWM to adjust the motor speeds and adapting the speeds manually in the script until they spin at the same speeds. Here’s a relevant tutorial… https://core-electronics.com.au/tutorials/motor-drivers-vs-motor-controllers.html

Thanks, Owen.

Because of the lack of space inside the tram’s body, I want to use an Arduino PM to control the slave motors’ RPM via a DCC decoder in real time. The PM would use the master’s RPM to determine what the slaves’ RPM should be and pass that info into the decoder. First of all, though, I need to ascertain the RPM of each motor to see if there really is a problem to be solved. I use the 16MHz version of the PM – fast enough?

Cheers, Graeme.

G’day (again) Owen,

You can disregard my previous email, except the bit about whether the PM I use will be fast enough for the QRE1113 (which I assume will be). I have an alternate (simpler) method of adjusting the motor RPMs, so you don’t have to answer that bit.

Cheers, Graeme.

Hey Graeme,

I wrote the first response accidentally under Owens account. Yes, the PM should be fast enough to read the RPM of the motors and then send signals to the DCC decoders. Sounds like a great project! I hope it goes well!

From Bryce