Lipo Battery Booster/Charger

I am looking for a Lipo battery charger/booster able to provide an output of 6v from a 3.7v lipo cell.

I already have a Pololu S7V8A step up/step down breakout and have adjusted that to give 5.7v from the 3.7v Lipo and I have a Lipo Adafruit charger but am hopeful there may be a single charger/booster breakout that might replace to the two units I have. I am also not sure if when using the two above components I can simple connect the charger to the battery and the battery to the booster to keep the battery charged when connected to 5v USB and still run the LED when disconnected from the USB without any dangers of overcharging/discharging and problems that might arise. Not sure such a part exists but hoping it does.

Alternatively I have seen a You Tube video (How to use 3.7V Battery to Power 5 Meter 12V LED Strip (using a buck boost converter) - YouTube) that at the 3:39 point uses a TP4056 that appears to have terminals for voltage out to a device (LED) and connections also to the battery keeping it charged when connected to 5v power and also allowing the battery to power the LED when disconnected from the USB source. In the video the TP4056 is connected to a booster as the user is after 12v whereas I am after 6v output so would still need to use my Pololu S7V8A booster but the TP4056 appears to be better setup for the charge and use application
Hope someone can advise or comment.

2 Likes

Hey Les,

What you’re after is called a boost converter (my bad on the typo :sweat_smile:). You’ll likely need a separate charger for the battery, however, after adjusting the potentiometer on this converter. You should be able to get 6V out from a 3.7V Lipo. Please let us know if there’s anything else that we can help you with!

1 Like

Thanks Bryce, I already have the Pololu #2118 converter from Core is there any reason to use the DFR0123 in place of it?
Also do you have any suggestions on the wiring arrangement for the booster, charger, and LED load. I can think of at least three but am sure there is probably only one best way.
Regards

2 Likes

I think Bryce has gotten muddled. You need a boost converter not a buck converter.

Yes combination lipo charging / boost converter step-up regulators do exist. Here’s one:

1 Like

Thank you Oliver33,
I see the following from the specs for the Sparkfun Lipo board

Note: This is not a direct replacement for the SparkFun Power Cell, as it uses a different IC. Also, this board does not possess any undervoltage or other battery protection features, so we do recommend that you use it only with batteries with a built-in protection circuit.”

As i am using the

Polymer Lithium Ion Battery (LiPo) 18650 Cell (3.7V 2600mAh, Solder Tab)Is there any other board that might provide the battery protection missing from this cell?

Thank you in advance.

Leslie Valmadre

Hi Leslie, in that case, I’d suggest one of these:

Checkout the datasheet for the MP2636:

It will shut down once the battery voltage drops below 3V (or below 2.5V while under load)

1 Like

Thank you again Oliver,

That is exactly what I am looking for and ticks all the boxes including Price!!

Cheers

Leslie

2 Likes

Hi Leslie,

No worries, here to help!

FYI it looks like you’re replying from your email, so your email signature with all your personal contact details is ending up in your public forum posts. I’ve removed it, but just wanted to let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks again Oliver. You are correct and thank you for removing them. I usually reply via email as it is easier than logging in to the forum but really I should do it via the forum and will when possible in the future.

1 Like

Hi Oliver,
Hello,
I have purchased the
MP2636 Power Booster & Charger Module
SKU: DFR0446
and it is on its way to me.
I will be buildig it in to a case in the project I am working on. The case will be 3D printed and I have designed it in Fusion 360. I am wondering if there are schematic drawings available giving the dimensions of the board and its onboard inlets/outlets and mounting hole or do I just have to work with the item when it arrives and take measurements as needed?
Thanks for any help you can provide

1 Like

HI Leslie,

DFRobot don’t have a mechanical specs for this product, but I’ve grabbed one from stock and taken a few measurements so you can get started on your design.

1 Like

Thanks Oliver,

I will look at making a Fusion 3D model of it and if it comes out OK I will send it to you if you wish. Not sure what you would do with it though!!

Les

2 Likes

Hey Les,

Through the design be sure to watch for floating overhangs, leaving a little space for tolerance, and avoid intersecting bodies when putting it together in CAD if you plan on manufacturing it with a FDM 3-D printing service. If it’s suitable to print we can take care of that for you in black PLA. I’ve linked the service from Core below where you can get the case printed if you don’t have a printer available yourself. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes