PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A - 1000C (ADA2465)

This is a placeholder topic for “PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A - 1000C” comments.

PowerBoost 1000C is the perfect power supply for your portable project! With a built-in load-sharing battery charger circuit, you’ll be able to keep your power-hungry project running even while recharging the battery! This little DC/DC boost converter module can be powered by any 3.7V LiIon/LiPoly battery, and convert the battery output to 5.2V DC for running your 5V projects.

Read more

1 Like

This thing does what many USB power banks simply can’t: supply a load and charge a battery at the same time, and seamlessly switch the load to battery power when the charger is disconnected. Why is this cool? It could be the basis of a UPS for a single board computer. Or a data logging project that needs to run even in a black out (say monitoring the temperature of a freezer). Or would be great for an automotive project that needs to cleanly shutdown after the ignition is cut off.
Quick and efficient service.

2 Likes

We are happy to hear you got what you needed Luc. Thanks for taking the time to review this awesome little board!

Will the powerboost 1000 charger module accept your 20,000mah lipo battery?

Hi Blake,

Our 20,000mAh battery features a third wire for the inbuilt NTC thermistor that boards like the PiJuice read to determine whether they are pushing the battery too hard and it’s getting too hot.

You could definitely crimp a 2-pin connector on, or strip the wires and solder them directly to the pins on the powerboost, but it won’t be plug-and-play
-James

Thanks James, I have not had the best of luck with getting the pijuice to work with that battery. Would you know what I would need to get this module to work?

Blake
Copied from Core page
product alert: Note - this is a generic LiPo battery that is compatible with PiJuice by using a custom profile in the PiJuice configuration software. The standard PiJuice battery profiles may not work as intended with this battery.

This is quoted directly underneath
This 20000mAh Lithium-Ion battery is compatible with the PiJuice

Confusing what!!!
Unfortunately am not familiar with RPi so cannot offer a solution.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hey Robert,

I think those statements were trying to add up to “this will work with a bit of configuration”. The PiJuice itself comes with a moderately sized battery that will work out-of-box, but anything significantly larger/smaller in capacity would behave differently, and thus need a different profile.

PiJuice have a good guide on the paramaters that need to bet set:

EDIT: Hit submit a bit early

Can I connect two 3.7v LiPo batteries in parallel and charge them at the same time using PowerBoost 1000 Charger?

1 Like

Hi Rinat,

Short answer, no.

To join multiple LiPo cells you there are a rang eof things to check, internal resistance, capacity, etc.

How come you need 2 batteries?
A larger single cell should do the same job.

1 Like

Thanks for info Liam,

I’m really just exploring options. My ESP32 with a thermometer should work for around two weeks on a battery and even without Wi-Fi being used it depletes in 3 days. It measures every minute and turns the display for a few seconds and goes to sleep, then repeats. I will be optimizing wake up timings, and when display is on and maybe try to wake up and send measurements only when temp changes or maybe once in 10 minutes max.

There are plenty of other options for me.

Cheers!

1 Like

Do you know when the PowerBoost 1000 Charger will be back in stock? I can’t seem to find them anywhere, have they been discontinued?

Any idea when the Powerboost 1000 charger will be back in stock? Thanks!