Looking to Develop a "by wire" Vehicle Controller for people with disabilities

I am looking for a way to engage the clutch and shift gears with the same hand on a motorcycle. I expect it can be adapted to cars as well. There are few if any hand-operated devices that allow a driver with limited use of their legs to operate a manual transmission vehicle. Due to an accident in my pickup, I can not shift by bike with my left foot. I want to start with a motorcycle and combine the clutch lever and shifter into a single controller. Currently, MC clutches use cables and gear selection is controlled by a foot lever. I want to change these to electronic control so they will operate in a car as well. I can go with relocating the the shift lever to the opposite side, for my needs, but that doesn’t benefit others and I know other disabled people may appreciate the option to operate cars with clutches, if only because of the lower cost of the modifications. I checked out some mechanical engineering firms but most deal with industrial-sized projects and I don’t know what kind of ME specialty this would fall under. This is more like gaming hardware design, I think, so I am posting here to start. Any recommendations or suggestions? Although I am a civil engineer, I am not looking to design this myself. I expect to pay someone or a firm to design it a build a prototype, hopefully.

1 Like

Hi @gino265850

This is such a cool project idea!!

Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Building prototypes

This sentence here really informs your design idea.
Not all, but many firms and professional contractors prefer CAD drawings and off the shelf parts. This is no problem, but something to keep in mind.

I think I understand your goals but let’s put this in dot points to make sure we are on the same page.

1. We want the user to be able to control the clutch and shiftbox using wire.
  2. the user will tug on the wire principally.
  3. the brains is electronic, not mechanical. i.e. the wire state is somehow being interpreted by a small computer.
  4. The computer is the device that ultimate shifts gears or engages the clutch.

Is all four of the above correct?

Why wire?

Since this is ““Electronic”” is there any reason we couldn’t use buttons and switches as the principal form of control. This is how it works on an F1 Car for example.

Laws concerning on road vehicle mods

We are super happy to help with whatever projects you want to do. For you personal research, consider checking the laws in your state about personal modification to motorcycles. :slight_smile:

Pix :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Hi All

I think gino means copper wire. You know the type that carries electrical signals. NOT a wire that you pull to operate the clutch or gear shift.

Cars too. Most important. The powers that be are very fussy about modifications to any motor vehicle and there are probably lots of engineering and safety checks to be investigated. Just ask anyone who has tried to legally fit a large motor into a smaller car.

At the end of the day it would probably be more economical to go automatic transmission. Probably not as much fun though. It would be difficult to design a generic device that would suit all in the mechanical sense.

Do motor cycles have automatic transmissions these days? I have seen a largish motor scooter with auto gear box.

I think there is an electric motor cycle around too actually made in Australia I think.
Cheers Bob

Makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like