MCP23017 IO Expansion Board, Expands 16 I/O Pins (CE07882)

Hey Roger,
Welcome to the forums!

We don’t have any versions without the headers soldered in regretfully. Though I like the idea you have for using terminal screws!

Cheers,
Blayden

Hi Roger
You could also remove the header strips. This would require some decent de soldering gear or method. Unfortunately these days the holes in the board are not big enough to make this task easy. There needs to be a little bit of space to remove the solder and these pins seem to be a firm fit.

But, do not despair. The pins in these header strips come out of that plastic bit pretty easily.
If you carefully remove the plastic part the pins can be carefully removed one at a time with a good soldering iron. This item and the skills to use it are a must if you are going to do any serious experimenting or “making”. Then the solder can be removed from the holes using pretty much any de-soldering tool or Solder Wick.

The only problem then would be hole size. Some of the 2.54 terminal blocks on the Core site have pins 0.8mm x 0.5mm which is a whisker under 0.95 diagonal which really should have a 1.0mm hole. I just measured a header pin diagonally and made it 0.84mm which is a bit smaller and seems to be a pretty neat fit in these boards so the terminal blocks might be a close thing.
There are 6 unused holes in that board which seem to be for header strip so someone maybe could measure these holes as they should be the same size as the other currently populated holes. Or even try a terminal block in them
Cheers Bob