micro:Bit control move:Mini

My continuing adventure with the BBC micro:Bit.

After building the move:Mini and getting it working, I investigated how to control it. The video shows a Galaxy S5 phone with the Kitronik App.
The grandson loved it, but the App kept disconnecting and he kept losing the screen by pressing where he should not. It was also a pain to set up the Bluetooth every time it disconnected.
The Bluetooth and Neo Pixel libraries are incompatible. You can have one or the other, not both. I wondered if there was a better way. (the Radio library ??)

001 (1)

Once my order of more micro:Bits arrived I investigated the Radio Library. It works very well and you only have to turn the two devices on. Will see how grandson likes it tomorrow.

Control is by tilting the micro:Bit.
Down = Forward, Up = Back, Down to Left = turn left, Down to Right = turn right. The board mounting is to protect it more than anything else, and should be easy for a 5 year old to hold.
This project has shown the limitations that exist with servos, especially the differences in manufacture. One servo works better than the other, it was necessary to adjust the program values to take this into consideration.

The docking board is from Jaycar. I tried most of the ones available from Core Electronics, but the Jaycar one seems to work best. At this time it is only physical support, but future projects will use more of its features.

Software loading and development were done using the Mcirosoft MakeCode for MicroBit application. This is an amazing development environment, well suited to beginner and advanced user.

Cheers
Jim

3 Likes

Jim, I like your work. One thing though, I’d use a clear jiffy box as a case so there’s no exposed pins to catch on things or scratch the 5 yr olds hands etc.
Dave

2 Likes

Agree Dave.

The control board is a test jig for what I may decide to do with the micro:Bit in the future.

The grandkids loved it, but the tilt function of the controller was easier for the 7 year old to pick up rather than the 5 year old. And as things go he took over it. The 5 year old was more happy with the mobile phone screen and using the kitronik app.

Safety is always paramount in anything I do. Supervision is 100% with these kind of things.

The 7 year old asked why there was a heart on the cart leds. I said because I decided to make it a heart. He asked if it could be his initials. So this kicked off, probably, his first programming experience. The Microsoft MakeCode App for the mirco:Bit, drag and drop blocks is so easy to pick up for kids his age. Next visit he wants to make some sounds with the mocro:Bit.

Anyway, highly recommend the micro:Bit as an educational tool.

Cheers
Jim

1 Like

This awesome, love to see the great stuff you’re doing for your grandkids Jim, and plenty of good lessons learned along the way about adjusting for real world parts :slight_smile:

1 Like