mmWave Radar - Human Presence Detection (SEN0395)

This is a placeholder topic for “mmWave Radar - Human Presence Detection” comments.

This 24GHz millimeter-wave radar sensor employs FMCW, CW multi-mode modulation, and separate transmitter and receiver antenna structure. In working, the sensor first…

Read more

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’ve just ported the SEN0395 mmWave Sensor Arduino/C++ Library to MicroPython and successfully tested on Rasberry Pi Pico.

Here’s the link to the zip file containing the ported class file and an example main.py file: https://core-electronics.com.au/attachments/uploads/SEN0395-micropython.zip

The Product Page has been updated to link to the same zip file as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!

4 Likes

Hi @Jacob
Having read the comments on the DFRobot web forum about this device - have you tried setting the detection range to something like

mmwave.DetRangeCfg(3, 5)

to determine if the sensor is ‘blind’ in the 0-2.75m zone as advertised, and also ‘blind’ > 5.25m … I am ok to allow a margin of error, but a lot of the forum comments seem to indicate that the sensor range setting doesn’t do much…

Murray

1 Like

Hey Murray,

I know that Jacob did have trouble getting the exclusion zones working, not sure if he managed to find a fix, but he may be able to better clarify what is going on with them when he jumps on the forums next.

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Gravity: Microwave Sensor (Motion Detection) (SEN0192)

Hi Michael, Adrian

To be effective as a motion detector or radar the device must continually be transmitting pulses. I don’t know (read haven’t looked) if this device is “pulse echo” or “doppler”. But if pulse echo you will get a response from a target at every transmitted pulse which should be timed to maximum range to allow any echo to be able to return before the next pulse is transmitted. Doppler on the other hand will only produce output when the target is moving to or from the origin. If the target is moving at the time of observation multiple outputs will occur at the transmitted pulse PRF.

As said I have not looked into the operation of this device so don’t even know if this sort of information is available, probably not. Study of sample sketches may provide a clue. If there are any sort of TOF calculations required to measure distance the bet would be pulse echo or if not could be either and all the processing carried out on the breakout unit as a whole.
Cheers Bob