Multi Raspberry Pi 4 Charger

Is there any single power supply module that i can use to power up multiple raspberry pi 4 units. Rather having a charger each i wonder you have any recommendations on any available solutions .

i have a tower of RSPI 4 modules, having many power supplies are difficult to handle. Hence the question.

2 Likes

Possibly something like this. In a suitable enclosure.
WARNING the 240vac connections are exposed and adequate care would need to be taken when connecting and in use.

2 Likes

Honestly, just about any USB-C multi-port adapter should work fine, you just need a powered one.

2 Likes

Hi Upeksha,

Welcome to the forum!!

POE + a router is a good option(though the official POE+ HAT’s are a bit hard to get a hold of at the moment).

PS: I got one of these working briefly: 4-way Fast Charge Buck Module (Compatible with Raspberry Pi 4B & Jetson Nano) | DFRobot DFR0852 | Core Electronics Australia
If you’re just doing some testing with the Pi’s and reliability isn’t a necessity I’d give it a go but I have a strong feeling it wont hold up as good as the official PSU

1 Like

check [Multiport power supply for powering multiple Pi’s - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange](Multiport power supply for powering multiple Pi's - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange for a perfect solution

1 Like

It is worth investigating the USB PD (Power Delivery) Standard.
Something that delivers power is designed to do it a certain way. Using the device outside what the manufacturer intended can be dangerous. ie smart phone fast charger as a power supply, Power bank as power supply.

In the USB PD standard, devices and chargers communicate determining the adequate power to supply.
Raspberry Pi’s probably do not do this, expecting 5.2V 2.5A to be available. The Meanwell supply is pretty basic, just provides power.
USB PD chargers can vary voltage up to 20V, this is not something I would like to have connected to my Pi, even though it defaults to 5V.

I put this here as a warning, what ever solution you come up with must be ‘fit for purpose’. The internet forums are full of articles and ‘experts’ who may know what they are doing and provide a very well designed solution but also may not.

All the best, cheers
Jim

4 Likes

Hi Upeksha,

Welcome to the forum!!

There have been some excellent suggestions so far, POE might be the neatest if you have to also run wired internet to each.

There are so many ways to power a Pi, through the USB port is the safest as it doesnt bypass the onboard polyfuse (POE is also a safe way to go!).
Check out the RPi documenation on roughly how much power the Pi will draw: Raspberry Pi Documentation - Raspberry Pi Hardware

Note that you should have lots of headroom on your maximum current to try and reduce the voltage drop as much as possible!
Liam

1 Like