N-Channel MOSFET 60V 30A (COM-10213)

This is a placeholder topic for “N-Channel MOSFET 60V 30A” comments.

If you’ve ever wondered how to control the headlight of a car from a microcontroller, a MOSFET is what you need. This is a very common MOSFET with very low on-resistance and a control voltage (aka gate voltage) that is compatible with any 3-5V microcontroller or mechanical switch. This allows you to control high-power devices with very low-power control mechanisms.

Read more

Just a note that this part is kind of marginal for 3.3V outputs. They typically have a guaranteed VOH(min) of around 2.4V. That’s not enough to drive the MOSFET deep into enhancement. For low current loads it might be enough. For anything more substantial its luck of the draw on exactly where the RDS(on) will land.

Hi Kai,

Good point, it’ll perform quite well @3.3V, dirving 10+ amps fairly easily. A 5V signal will take it into the 50+ Amps zone. There are a couple of charts in the datasheet that help show what’s going on. The main limiting factor with high power is heat. 3.3V + high-frequency + high-power could get quite hot and sometimes a heatsink might be needed.

Used this recently on a +5V up to 500mA circuit and it performed excellently. Have not used it with 3.3V.

I’ve been looking into making a ‘simple’ audio amplifier using a MOSFET. Most tutorials online use the IRF744N, but from what I understand you need a logic level MOSFET.

My question:-
Can this N-channel MOSFET you sell be used to make an audio amplifier, using a 3.3volt GPIO pin being pulsed?

My project is currently set up with a mini piezo buzzer to make beep and buzzer noises. The problem is that it is not loud enough. I need it to be loud enough to hear over a group of barking dogs.
I have successfully substituted a speaker in place of the piezo. The tones are better sounding but I NEED volume.

Hi Matt,

In response to your question. It appears that on the site it’s listed that the 3.3 V GPIO should be
suitable to be able to drive this MOSFET at around 10 A.

very low on-resistance and a control voltage (aka gate voltage) that is compatible with any 3-5V microcontroller or mechanical switch

As for using a piezo, I’d recommend scaling up to something larger such as that linked below and potentially adding some directional amplification, and maybe a material that it can resonate on such as a piece of thin plywood, to the buzzer so that it is better suited to your purpose.

All the best with your project!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

I was advised this would be ok to turn on/off a 12V 8A DC solenoid from an ESP-32, I am still learning but hope it works, I purchase a larger TO-220 heatsink just in case

I just got this MOSFET working with a 12 motor from an arduino, next a 8A Solenoid

3 Likes