New video by Michael; The Factory | The Quest For The "Perfect" Protoboard

New video - The perfect protoboard is out there, somewhere… This week in The Factory we begin work on a new line of maker-essentials - and what better item to start with than the ubiquitous protoboard? Every maker has used one and probably everyone has their preference. What features do you look for?

3 Likes

Hi Michael.
Good looking board. Like the provision of terminal and connector points at the end. There are no nasty hidden connections to these end points are there on a hidden layer. There are some on some of the Arduino photo boards around namely from the 6 pin header to the 5V and Gnd rails. That model type you flashed up for a couple of seconds had a problem with one of the variants that I got trapped with. This came from a reputable competitor who removed the item when I pointed out the serious problem. The pin pitch down the long dimension was 2.5mm instead of 2.54mm. Because of the thin legs on most ICs you could just get away with DIP 8,14,16 devices bur when I tried to fit a 15 way header with the thicker legs no chance would it fit. I was not too impressed with the delay it caused and I had to make a 60kM round trip to replace it.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Bob

4 Likes

Love the idea, I still use a lot of RS232 and would love to see breakouts for DB9/DE9 as well as for RJ45.

Cheers
Phil.

2 Likes

Looks like a really nice proto board! Usually, I only need a small breadboard and end up cutting off extra cruft. It would be nice to have a smaller variety, too.

3 Likes

There’s a few more in the mix now :wink: Check out our latest episode

2 Likes

BIG thumbs-up on using the full-size USB-B. It’s a nice robust connector, unlike as you say the SMT USB-C, but also the micro-B.

- G.

2 Likes