Object and Animal Recognition With Raspberry Pi and OpenCV

how can i add more objects for recognition it the project?

1 Like

Hey Arham,

To solve your problem, come take a look at this - Edge Impulse . This is free for a maker and will let you customise an already built Machine Learned system (like the Coco library used in this guide).

1 Like

Hey Harold

You will be able to get significantly higher FPS if you turn off the preview window. That will safe the Raspberry Pi a lot of processing power. Should be easy to locate the | Create Preview Window | section in the script and to comment them out.

Hopefully, that helps. I am exploring a AI camera right now (the Oak-D Lite) which will run machine learning scripts at a much higher FPS when attached to a Raspberry Pi. So stay tuned and give it a little looksie.

2 Likes

I think I’ve found the problem. When the rasp pi is detecting an object it’s lagging and will have a 3 seconds delay. How can I fix this?

2 Likes

Hi Harold,

Given the Pi is trying to compute everything in almost real-time there will be some delay(due to hardware-software interactions).

What use case do you have where you need an almost real-time detection?

A unit with a TPU(Tensor processing unit) assisting or doing the bulk of the work, will significantly decrease the delay.

FYI: Behind the scenes the Pi is capturing the image and turning the signal coming in on the CSI cable into a neat human-viewable video stream. Then crunching that stream through a complex neural-net (fancy statistics) then drawing that one your screen.

Quite an amazing process - to optimise this it will take a bit of work/money. some ideas: disable the viewing window on the Pi and cut back resources, you could tighten and train your own neural-net with less ‘neurons’, try other models/ methods of crunching those numbers.

2 Likes