PiicoDev Buzzer Module (CE08219)

This is a placeholder topic for “PiicoDev Buzzer Module” comments.

Play simple tones or even melodies - add an audible alert to your project.

Read more

2 Likes

I was wondering how loud the buzzer was meant to be. With volume=2 in a quiet room it is barely audible.

4 Likes

Hi Fractal,

They arent a suuper loud buzzer but the frequency that you are trying to play also influences how loud it seems, a couple in harmony start to get lound.

I’ve also found if you have some plastic or paper cups around popping the buzzers inside of them make it a tad louder (provided theyre pointed at you).

3 Likes

Hi Liam120347

Thanks for your reply. I did try different frequencies and found it was loudest at around 3000Hz. Perhaps using loud is the wrong word because to hear any sound from the board at all I have to wait until it is quiet, close the door and move my ear very close to it.
I have checked the library is up to date and the python scripts run without error. Cannot think of anything else I can do to fault find. Perhaps the board is faulty.

3 Likes

Hey Fractal,

It’s odd that you have to get sooo close, as mentioned before they arent super loud like the speaker from your phone. All up the buzzer outputs <0.015W.
Check out the Core tutorial for a quick reference and a project I made:

All of them are tested prior to being shipped so the chance of it being faulty are slim (but not impossible) -it’d be worth sending through a video of it working.

There isnt a massive amount of power to work with on the I2C bus, its also using the raw GPIO to drive the buzzer which is very interesting.

Source: PiicoDev Buzzer Module | Core Electronics Australia

2 Likes

Hi there,
Is there an Arduino library for these guys? I bought a couple and just assumed there would be :grimacing:

Thanks,
Paul

3 Likes

Hi Paul,

At the moment there is only Micropython/Python libraries for the Buzzer module but all of the code is open-source so if you’re keen on getting your hands dirty. Its also likely that you can strip away all of the other functions you don’t need.

I’m curious though - why Arduino instead of Micropython?

1 Like

Hey Liam,
Thanks for responding so quick!
Yeah I would love to make an Arduino library for it but have sooooo many other fun tasks to do if you know what I mean. I’m building an ocean going autonomous boat, and its a project that just keeps getting deeper and deeper, pardon the pun. But good fun that’s for sure and that’s the point.
I prefer C/C++ to Python, really just because that’s what I know I guess. And now I have so much time invested in it it would be a big change to switch. Maybe one day.
I use PlatformIO rather than the Arduino IDE, VSCode/PlatformIO is so much better than the Arduino IDE once you get deep in C/C++ stuff on Arduino.
thanks,
PJ

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,

No worries! Oooh yeah, I imagine just about everyone on the forum is neck-deep in projects!

Fair call! Pythononic languages cut down dev time a lot so if you’re ever keen to learn its worth it 100%.

1 Like

Old post, but I have to agree, the buzzer is very quiet. I too have to put it up to my ear to hear it, although it helps if I hold it with the chip facing my palm.

1 Like