Piicodev LiPo Charging Pico

Hey there. I was wondering how the Piicodev LiPo Expansion Board for the Raspberry Pi Pico worked, and what type of LiPo I would need for it, if you could give me a few recommendations that would be great. Thanks for your help, this forum is amazing!

1 Like

Hi Ezra,

In regards to the workings all of the schematics can be found on the product page! What part in particular were you wondering about?

Any of Core’s 2 pin LiPo’s should work perfectly, the 1100mAh is recommended.

Glad you are liking it :slight_smile:

Thanks, I had assumed that the 1100 mAh was correct, I just wanted to be safe.

I was wondering if I needed to charge the LiPo beforehand, or if the Pico plugged into the Piicodev expansion board will supply it with charge.

1 Like

Hi Ezra,

Certainly, the Recommended Essentials are hand-picked so you know they ought to work!
It’s best practice to charge the LiPo beforehand as it ships at a reduced charge (about 30% usually).
Once charged try to keep tabs on it to make sure the battery doesn’t over-discharge (To setup a monitoring circuit you could make a voltage divider with the Vsys, analog and GND pins; or check with your multimeter every so often).

If you’re looking for longevity with a sensor, I’d check out the Nano power timer HAT or using a micro-USB plug.