PiicoDev UV sensor

Hi Guys,
Is it possible - foreseeable - that you might create a PiicoDev UV sensor using the VEML6070 chip?
Looks like a very close cousin to the existing VEML6030 used in the PiicoDev Ambient Light sensor …

Just a thought - especially for a weather station for measuring UV (sunburn) data. Could also be used in conjunction with the existing sensor (and some calculations) to determine solar energy in watts / sq. meter etc etc for the off grid people.

Just a thort :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Hi Murray,

Interesting idea, I’ll @ some of the team here for you and pass your idea on. Enjoy your weekend!

@Michael @Peter @Brenton

3 Likes

Thanks Bryce

I am hoping that it would fit nicely into the PiicoDev architecture, and be a realistic price point given quantities vs interest vs development time.

Cheers, Murray

3 Likes

Hi Murray,

The VEML6070 is no longer manufactured. It’s a great idea to add a UV sensor to the mix! We will investigate alternatives and see what that brings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

3 Likes

Thanks for the update - it’s a pity re the VELM6070 as it looked like a simple drop-in replacement …
Maybe they didn’t have enough interest in it for ongoing production … or maybe they have a later version?

cheers
Murray

2 Likes

Hey @Murray125532 - we actually had the same idea (for exactly the same part) a while ago. During my preliminary research, I came across this incredible project by experienced maker, mixtela that uses the device. While the project is gorgeous and beautifully designed, he’s still pretty unimpressed with the VEML6070. Mixtela points out numerous shortcomings, both at the hardware level and in the documentation. While these were enough to convince me to stay away from the VEML6070, I still recommend watching the video - some first-rate making there!

As Peter said, we’ll keep our eyes out for a suitable device. If you find one in your travels please let us know!
Happy making :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Michael,
(a) wow that is a serious make there
(b) agree with your comments
and
(c) one of my Cub Leaders found some small plastic UV sensitive beads that we had the Cubs make up into additions to their scarf woggles. The beads were normally whitish, but when exposed to UV i.e. sunlight, started to turn purple. We suggested to the Cubs that if the purple was ‘vivid’ that maybe they should go into a shelter until the beads returned to white again. A simple Sun Safe idea for youths.
Murray

2 Likes

Hi team

Silicon Labs Si1145/6/7 Proximity/UV/Ambient Light Sensor with i2c interface

RS carry it https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/proximity-sensor-ics/8920022

Si1145-SiliconLaboratories.pdf (812.2 KB)

Hope this helps :smiley:
Murray

:laughing: Of course you could whomp up a PiicoDev A/D interface for this …

(should I run and hide now?)
Murray

And there is this one from Adafruit … I was actually looking up the LTR390-UV-01 sensor, made by LiteOn optoelectronics - which Mouser can get in, but at a long lead time (20+ weeks) and big minimum order qty (5000) unfortunately …

LTR-390UV_Final_ DS_V1 1.pdf (1.9 MB)

Maybe the way to go is to use the Adafruit module and muddle in code from Adafruit and PiicoDev systems - this could be ‘interesting’ .

cheers
Murray

3 Likes

hey, that’s a nice part
Thanks, and nice work @Murray125532
We’ll add this to the To-Do list! :smiley:

1 Like