Pimoroni Pico Wireless Pack (PIM548)

This is a placeholder topic for “Pimoroni Pico Wireless Pack” comments.

Give your Raspberry Pi Pico project the capacity to chat with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks as well as a handy microSD card slot!

Read more

2 Likes

I wonder how many of these Pimoroni have sold and never been used. The documentation is extremely lacking.
I had to wade through C++ source code to find the functions and then figure what they needed by trial and error.

But in the end this is an excellent product, the only physical let down is the Pico pins are not assessable once the module is plugged in.

The software works really nice once you figure out how to use the functions. Compared to the Raspberry Pi Pico W implementation of a WiFi Access Point, the Pimoroni is streets ahead. The creation of an AP and assignment of IP’s to connected devices works like it should. Any IP you want can be easily assigned, for the Pico W devices had to be setup with static IPs to work.

So far very impressed with this device, except for the appalling lack of documentation of the software. Something I have found on a lot of Pimoroni products. But, this will suit my project nicely and the SD Card will come in very handy to record sensor readings from device that will connect through WiFi.

Regards
Jim

4 Likes

Hi Jim,

It looks like since the Pico W has been released Pimoroni has discontinued production of the Pico wireless pack and we’ll be selling the last stock we have as clearance items priced accordingly.

It’s a shame the documentation was such an uphill struggle, but if you did have use for their alternative wifi access point implementation they will be cheaper to pick up now until the last stock is gone and they are retired from our range.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, actually I bought the Pimoroni because it was reduced and wanted to compare with the Pico W. One can only hope Raspberry Pi improve the Pico W software as far as an Access Point is concerned. Other than the assignment of incorrect IP’s to connected devices it works excellently as both a Station and an Access Point.

Cheers
Jim

3 Likes

Hi Guys,
I have one of your (or rather Pimoroni’s) ‘Pimoroni Pico Wireless Pack’.
It took me a while to get started, and the product seems a bit crippled (reason for being cleared?).
After digging a lot on github in old branches, I got the wireless to work.
Now I am trying to get the sdcard working. But no luck yet.
I tried the sdcard.mpy from Pimoroni, but I think the pin information is incorrect.
I prefer not to go to the c++ implementation. I want to stick with the pimoroni-pico (as is advised on their and your site).
I am working with the specific uf2 for this, and as said wireless is working, and now ds-card access.

Can you advise?
Thanks,
T
BTW: checking your page I see there is some content now, also about lack of support/information.
The least they/you could do is keeping the old software, drivers, uf2 available. No updates etc of course.

1 Like

Hi James,
Did you get the sd-card to work (and keeping the wireless)?
Would you be so kind to share the info?

Thanks,
Ton

1 Like

Hi James, others,

Found something myself. I have write access now.
It seems the SD-slot does not like bigger size, like 4Gb.
Open debate of course if it is the slot or the driver.
Need to verify this.

Regards,
T

1 Like

Hi Ton,

Glad to hear you got the SD card working, I’d say it came down to the formatting of the card, microcontrollers like FAT32 filesystems (which larger cards usually emulate).

PS: the reason for it being retired was that with the release of the PIco W, Pimoroni discontinued production

Keen to see what you make with it!
Liam

Hi Ton,

I never tested the SD Card.
The whole board is now sitting dormant in a box of parts.
Sometimes I buy these devices just to see how they work and maybe find a use for them. (often not)

In the case of the Pimoroni Pico Wireless Pack the physical limitations of connection to the pins limited its usefulness. The Pico W became much more useful and I solved the initial Access Point problem through software programming. I have two Pico W’s now communicating nicely, sharing data, one being an access point.

The ESP32 is an amazing chip, its sad that Pimoroni do not provide adequate documentation to support their products. I know there is a lot of documentation for the ESP32, but how it is implemented on the board by Pimoroni would be a great help.

It a moot point as the product has been discontinued.

Cheers
Jim

1 Like

Hi Ton,

Great to hear you’ve had a win with the SD card.
Unfortunately when the Pico W launched the manufacturer quite understandably shelved development on the product and a lot of the library support was only at an early experimental stage.
It might be worth posting an issue on their GitHub just to ask if anyone has had success reading an SD card larger.

2 Likes