PIR sensor for pi zero

Hi guys,

another really basic questions. I am wanting to add a PIR sensor to my Pi Zero W. I have one usb port free in my pi which I had thought the PIR sensor would plug into. How can I get the sensor to plug in though? Can I use jumper wires to plug into the pins at the sensor end and then solder the male end to a USB head? Or is there an easier way to do that?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Here is a great video that walks you through how to connect and program a PIR sensor to a Pi Zero W:

Hopefully that gets you on track!

Thanks Stephen, I did see that there but my header pins are completely taken up by a speaker bonnet in my design which is why I was thinking about the micro USB option. Are there any other options for connection given my current setup?

Thanks

Hi James,

As far as I know there is not a way that you can connect a PIR sensor to the USB port. You could use a second microcontroller and connect THAT to the USB, but this seems like a little much. Is your Speaker bonnet actually using all the pins or is it just connected to all of them? Perhaps you need stacking headers, or a breakout in between the pi and the bonnet.

I’m not sure if the bonnet is using all of the pins but it is definitely connected to them all. I think I will try the stacking headers - looks like it might work…

Thanks for your help!

1 Like