Project by Diego; ESP32 IR-Triggered Camera with Home Assistant Integration

I’ve just shared a new project: “ESP32 IR-Triggered Camera with Home Assistant Integration”

I love the ESP line-up. I started by messing around with the ESP8266 and I completely fell in love with it. The 8266 is all I ever wanted from a microcontroller: WIFI connectivity, a decent amount of GPIO, a deep-sleep mode for battery operation and it is dirt cheap.
The ESP8266 found its way into many projects, and every time I had tons of fun integrating it, so when the folks at Espressif released the ESP32, I was beyond happy.
Among all the development boards based on the ESP32 that are circulating around, one caught my attention, the ESP32-CAM. This little mighty board offers wifi connectivity, onboard voltage regulation, LED Flash, Micro sd card reader, and a 2MP Camera.
The cherry on top of the cake was when I found out about Home assistant and ESPHome. Two months in the Home assistant rabbit hole later I came back victorious.
In this project, we will set up a Home Assistant instance on an RPi 4 and connect the ESP32-CAM to it with a motion sensor for presence detection and automation.

Read more

5 Likes

Hi Diego,

Nice! :smiley: , I’d be keen to remix this one to use a flame/smoke alarm to monitor 3D printers, and delve into IFTTT sending a notification if something catastrophic happens.

Liam.

2 Likes

Hi Liam,

That’s a fantastic idea, feel free to remix my project :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Nice,
I’m looking into a similar project for an alarm intrusion system in my storage unit that lacks power.

Do you think this project could be adapted with deep sleep, with interrupt/wake on PIR detection? Or maybe a reed door sensor/switch would have less standby power draw.
Does the ESP32-CAM have good deep sleep modes, like you mentioned the 8266 has?

Hey Sam!

Welcome to the Forums!

The ESP32-CAM does have a deep sleep mode capability, though I will include that I personally have been using the XIAO ESP32S3 Sense which has a much lower draw in deep sleep (around 5µA) and is an exceptional little board that may have better use than its older counterpart. Plus it also has an included Battery charge system, microphone and USB-C port (so no FTDI connector needed)

Using it with a reed switch, PIR, or even RTC would be an awesome way to have it work as intended. It would just need a bit of work code wise and you should have an excellent little home automation add-on.

Cheers,
Blayden