Project by FlashBrack; Rain Gauge Data Logger

FlashBrack just shared a new project: "Rain Gauge Data Logger"

Summary
A Raspberry Pi 3B is used to collect digital counts from an electronic rain gauge (1mm of rain per reed switch closure by magnetic see-saw). It has been running without issues for over 12 months. A UPS powers the Pi so it is immune from short power glitches.
The total count is displayed on an LCD screen with reset and inc/dec test buttons. “To HTML” and “To LCD” routines are also included to simplify changing display screens from HTML (standard monitor for debugging) to LCD (for running in compact format).
The Pi stores the data in a log file which is interrogated by WiFi (LAN) from a PC with an open document format spreadsheet using data linking.
Resetting the count causes the current count and timestamp to be written to the log file and a new sum to be initiated for the next line of the data file.
The system is checked using a manual tip-it-out rain gauge in a different location some metres away. When first installed the agreement was within a few percent. At the moment the Pi is showing about 12% more than the manual gauge. I regard that as reasonable agreement. It may need the collecting cups cleaned to reduce the discrepancy.

Read more

Just wondering where you picked up the rain collecting unit (bucket, tipping cups etc).
Cheers

Hi

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been ill. I intend to send

more pictures as requested, when able. The source of the rain gauge
unit is unknown as it was a gift.

ATB Rob
1 Like