Providing mobile power to raspberry pi 3 model B+

Hi all,
I am trying to put together the components for a mobile robot that runs on ROS, and thought a raspberry pi 3 model B+ would work well, given it’s decent processing prowess.
But I can’t figure out how to power it on-the-go. From what I understand, I need to provide 5.1V at 2.5A to the raspberry pi, but all the power banks I have looked at only provide 1A or 2A. So then I looked into voltage regulators, but I can’t figure what type I need, and then what kind of batteries I need and how I need to connect them. Can anyone help me out with this?
I am open to any sort of solution to this problem. Ultimately, the robot I want to build will use two 6V motors to do differential drive, and I want to hook up a usb camera or xbox kinect to the pi for computer vision.
Thanks for your attention!

Hi Pieter,

A 2amp power bank should be fine. It’s more so when everything is “used” on the RPi 3+ along with heavy processing tasks at the same time that those ratings are needed.

All the best with your projects!

Hi Graham,
Thank you for the advice! As far as I can see, the only 2A battery back available on this website is out of stock. Is there an alternative solution involving lithium ion batteries or something like that?
Thanks!

EDIT: I’ve just found the 5V 2.5A pololu step-down voltage regulator. This seems just right for the pi. What requirements should I look for with my batteries to make sure that this solution works?

1 Like

You could use a battery pack from JB Hifi or the like - Perhaps grab something with an appropriate capacity for your project.