Read strings from chrome mobile

I use text variables from browser to activate leds in arduino device. I want the text to be read by the device automatically without click. need help advice on how to do it. Thanks

1 Like

Hi Samuel,

Could you elaborate a bit on your project?

You might be able to get away with something like an nRF52 breakout, or an ESP32 module, both of these hooking into an app on the mobile device or a site it’s accessing that you host.

Very hard to say what’s involved without a bit more info on your project though, still keen to help out!
-James

Hi James. Good morning and thank you for your email.

It’s a project that convert speech to text and text to Morse code in a browser. The Morse codes will be read by the arduino device, through Bluetooth. Using HC 05 .

Arduino will activate LED according to the codes.

I want the process to be automatic without user interface such as button click etc. I am stuck here.

Thanks
Samuel

1 Like

Hi Samuel,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting :partying_face:

Sounds like an interesting project! I’m curious to see how you implement that (please let me know when you do, I’d really like to see how you did it :grin:) as speech-to-text is already quite difficult to get running effectively and the extra latency from having to convert the string of text by individual characters to morse code which you’ll then send to the Arduino (which can be sent ASCII text instead and do the conversion to morse code on its end if need be by a function you can write) would be a much easier place to start rather than diving straight into a solution.

The first thing that comes to mind is to use an appropriate shield, likely ethernet, to connect to your network and then host a web server from the Arduino which can then be accessed locally (it may be possible to set this up with a static IP address on your network to avoid DHCP switching it on the fly over time, although using the hostname and appropriate port number would work too).

My suggestion, first, grab an ethernet shield for your board, get the ChatServer example running, and then mod the code so that instead of simply echoing the output back it turns on an LED based on certain messages with a digitalWrite()

Once you’ve got that up and running, then see what kind of API you can find to convert speech-text based on audio queues to your computer that can be sent as a POST request to the ChatServer. Scope creep is certainly something to consider for complex projects, I’d suggest limiting the requirements of the project down to its core problem statement of being able to control GPIO on your board then working back to a larger scope from there to get this working.

P.S.

Here’s a EthernetClient docs page for Arduino that may come in handy :grinning: Let us know if you have any questions about the code or extra resources and we’ll see what we can do to help

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/EthernetClient

1 Like

Hi James
Good morning. Trust you are having a great weekend.
I made some studies with the help of friends like you and have opted ESP8266 with web server.
What do you think? The issue I have is with the microphone, which the browser keeps cutting off afte 2/3 sentences.
I hope to address this issue with this concept.
Will post details of the project once it is through. Regards
Samuel

2 Likes

Hi Bryce
Your statement:
"which you’ll then send to the Arduino (which can be sent ASCII text instead " I am stuck here. I need to send the characters from the webpage to the Arduino in a streaming process, without send button click.
Can u help me in this please. Thanks
Samuel

Hi Bryce
I was hoping to hear from you. KINDLY ADVICE. Thanks
Samuel

Hey Samuel,

It sounds like you’re definitely a good deal down the path! Any chance you can attach/link the code you’ve got so far so we can have a look at the best way to integrate the functionality you’re after?

-James

Hi Samuel,

Can you link through to the GitHub repo or add your code here as James suggested between some ``` on either side of it in your post? We need details about the project to be able to provide useful advice for people’s projects. Also, it’s worth noting that this is a public forum, anyone from the team or community is able to reply here and each member of the staff at Core Electronics isn’t on every day.

For project development from scratch rather than the free suggestions and discussions on a forum, an engineering consultancy group may be the best choice for the project depending on what you’re using it for.