RGB LED lights

Hi,

I am creating a studio to run live events and art installations in.

I am wanting to have two led strips along the walls of the studio that measure roughly 9 metres each so 18 metres in total.

I want to be able to control the led strips via and dmx controller and through software on my laptop. As these will be the only lights in the studio I want them to be relatively bright for practical use and an option for Daylight (4000-5000k). I want warm (2700k) as well but assume I can create that with an RGB combo.

Im wanting lots of control over the lights so am guessing addressable is my best bet.

I’m not sure how much power I need, what converters I need etc.

I’m very new to this world unfortunately but keen to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Felix,

If you’re new to addressable LEDs, your first port of call should be the Adafruit NeoPixel Uberguide:

It goes over the control and powering long strips like the ones you’d like to run.

Another thing to consider is the CRI of the strips you’re putting it. CRI is a number that describes how even and complete the spectrum of light that is coming out of the LED is, and it dictates how accurate colors will appear when seen or photographed, so if it’s for art installations, that may be a factor.

It might be worth looking into strips with particular color temperatures and laying them side by side instead, but it all depends on whether you’re able to get the quality of light out of RGB strips that you’re after.

Keen to see how you go!
-James

Hi Felix,

Welcome to the forum!!

I’d definitely go for an RGBW strip of some sort getting a strip to a perfect colour using RGB can be a bit finicky in my experience and having one channel already tuned speeds things up. Core stocks a range here: https://core-electronics.com.au/search/?q=rgbw

As for power, 5V is usually the goto for most strips, for long strips make sure to inject power at a few points, the colour will fade to a red rather than stay white for long lengths.

Liam.

1 Like